Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

We have now passed the 50" mark for rain fall this year... WOW!
This has been the ultimate test for how high and dry my coop pens are... can't say the same for some other areas on the farm, but the chickens have remained in the dry.
I thought at one point my sheep and maremma were going to mildew.
roll.png

We have now passed the 50" mark for rain fall this year... WOW! This has been the ultimate test for how high and dry my coop pens are... can't say the same for some other areas on the farm, but the chickens have remained in the dry. I thought at one point my sheep and maremma were going to mildew.
roll.png
Hi RedRidge, With that much rain, what is your secret to keeping everything dry ?

Can't stand the smell of skunk! Makes me want to barf. But I still need to know what type of feed you soak to ferment and aprox. how much per bird do you feed? Really would appreciate help in this area.
Thanks in advance.

Quote: A raincoat?
lau.gif

Seriously though... We added gutters and rain collection to our barn last year and that has helped the barn lot area tremendously.
Note to self... overflow drains from collection tanks are a MUST! Doesn't matter how many thousands of gallons you have in tanks.
We overflow them into stock tanks way out in the pasture.
We didn't have overflows on the back tanks and flooded the barn earlier this year. THAT project jumped to highest on the priority list real quick.
hmm.png

Tanks are used to water livestock and water the garden... but... we haven't watered the garden this year.
Our norm is 48" for the entire year... we hit that halfway through the year, so this is really unusual.
We just got lucky that the barn is on higher ground than everything around it.

Can't stand the smell of skunk! Makes me want to barf. But I still need to know what type of feed you soak to ferment and aprox. how much per bird do you feed? Really would appreciate help in this area.
Thanks in advance.
Soaking premixed feeds is nasty in my opinion. It's sticky and smelly.
I soak only my grains and then add the other ingredients to the fermented grains.
As far as amount... if you feed by weight... then all other things being equal the fermented grains weigh about 2.25 what the dry grains do. However, they tend to eat a little less. So by weight I feed what I normally would dry under the same circumstances.

As soon as I get my holes drilled in my bucket, I'm going to do 2 scoops hard white wheat, 1 scoop buckwheat, 1 scoop BOSS, 1 scoop scratch, 2 scoops start n grow. Cover with water, stir, add more water, couple glugs of acv (Heinz w/ mother).
I dunno, kinda winging it. My scoop is a quart soup container btw. May have to adjust quantity because of the small "scoop". It is a ridiculous 47 degrees outside. High of 73 today.. ugh

A raincoat?
lau.gif
Seriously though... We added gutters and rain collection to our barn last year and that has helped the barn lot area tremendously. Note to self... overflow drains from collection tanks are a MUST! Doesn't matter how many thousands of gallons you have in tanks. We overflow them into stock tanks way out in the pasture. We didn't have overflows on the back tanks and flooded the barn earlier this year. THAT project jumped to highest on the priority list real quick.
hmm.png
Tanks are used to water livestock and water the garden... but... we haven't watered the garden this year. Our norm is 48" for the entire year... we hit that halfway through the year, so this is really unusual. We just got lucky that the barn is on higher ground than everything around it.
Sounds like a great setup ! The last month here has been pretty good weather wise but prior to that it was a wet Spring/Summer. I've managed to keep things fairly dry around the coop by using the deep litter method inside and utilizing fresh grass clippings and other grubbings to keep the run dry. My girls and 2 boys free range for a portion of the day so that helps as well.

Back
Top Bottom