Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

In China it caries great religious significance as well as believed to help recoup blood lost from our monthly friend, post surgery, and during illness. They are also only used in soups and stews that require little meat. In Singapore, it is for pre and post natal diets. The only thing proven is they have twice the antioxidant carnosine than regular birds, and the health benefits come from free ranging instead of battery cages. In my search there have been black chicken products everywhere but not much real information. Scientist in the US are researching them, when they finally figure it out I am sure the "fad" will die like everything else. China will however still use it because it is deep in their culture.

The difference being, in America they could never bear to kill their little silkie-kins, but in China they will actually kill them and eat them. That's one reason it will not catch on here in a big way...evidenced even by this thread...on the meat bird section.....where several people plead for the life of Mr. Silkie Pants but didn't mention once to stay execution on the big, ugly roosters in the pen.
big_smile.png

We Americans are mush pots. China knows what it's like to be hungry and they are resourceful in their nutrition sources....dogs, bugs, etc.

Oh gosh.... I cant do it. Hed be all alone up there at the house. If I had my coop rebuilt I would take him in a nanosecond and any other boys you might want to rehome. I absolutely love roosters. Of course Id have to get em some hens too..... LOL

I lost my whole flock about six to eight weeks ago, to coyotes. My home is 60 miles east of San Diego in the High desert. I live in town with my 97 year old grandmother for the time being. I was driving 120 miles round trip twice a week to fill feeders make sure the waterers were still working. I use automatic water tubs because it keeps the water cooler and they constantly have about five gallons of water in them.

The well broke, and while I was waiting for the well guy to get the parts I had to turn my whole flock out in the yard so they could access water I was hauling in on my truck.... didnt work.

I have to pass the temptation. In the spring I hope to get the coop moved 75 feet east to where the water lines will be plumbed instead of having to rely on hundreds of feet of hose. At that time I will start up with Guinea Fowl again.... My horse Katee Wuvvs her Guineas..... she stands by their enclosure all day listening to them. Then I want Sumatras.... Black skinned birds by the way.... LOL. And then I will collect a few here and there because they need homes or are just too danged cute....

When I am done the coop will be more of a poultry house. Seven partitions and a work feed area. About 24 x 24 feet. And Yes I am planning on a Bachelor partition.

deb
So sorry to hear of your loss! That would be devastating! You are one dedicated chicken lady! My son is joining the Marines in the spring, so there will be more trips down your direction in our future! We will have to keep in touch!

I know this is off subject, but I just got started. They are the most facinating creatures god put on this earth. If people could take an example from them.....
Right now they keep everything they make. Maybe next year I'll take a little if they have plenty. They were my wifes idea because of the plight of pollinators, so it's for nature not us. If we get food from them then so be it, if not no harm no foul. I'm trying to go Au naturel.

Walt

BTW today is the day I start a batch of FF!

Last edited:
I know this is off subject, but I just got started. They are the most facinating creatures god put on this earth. If people could take an example from them.....
Right now they keep everything they make. Maybe next year I'll take a little if they have plenty. They were my wifes idea because of the plight of pollinators, so it's for nature not us. If we get food from them then so be it, if not no harm no foul. I'm trying to go Au naturel.

Walt
All in all you are still on topic. They pollinate the crops for the chickens to eat and are great for wounds.

The difference being, in America they could never bear to kill their little silkie-kins, but in China they will actually kill them and eat them. That's one reason it will not catch on here in a big way...evidenced even by this thread...on the meat bird section.....where several people plead for the life of Mr. Silkie Pants but didn't mention once to stay execution on the big, ugly roosters in the pen.
big_smile.png

We Americans are mush pots. China knows what it's like to be hungry and they are resourceful in their nutrition sources....dogs, bugs, etc.
I wouldn't mind eating one here and there. However, I still don't see raising them as meat birds, I still like my thighs bigger than a wing section.

Kassaundra, I just clicked on we are nekkid and we know it. at first I thought because of the different colors of the birds that they were moulting, thay's a riot..... I have a turkin and she is the best layer I have, eats very little, and is the sweetest of the bunch. If I come out and she sees me from across the yard she comes running and has to "talk" to me and follow me around like a puppy. I want to get some more, but I only found one hatchery that has them and not all the time.

There is a Naked Neck thread, maybe someone on there is close enough to get eggs or chicks from them. Several of the big hatcheries have them at least in the spring. I really love the NN chickens and have discovered another cool thing about them, I raise them to eat too, and they have no chicken "hair" in the skin after plucking. They do really well in out hot weather, and I am transitioning my flock to all NN.

There is a Naked Neck thread, maybe someone on there is close enough to get eggs or chicks from them. Several of the big hatcheries have them at least in the spring. I really love the NN chickens and have discovered another cool thing about them, I raise them to eat too, and they have no chicken "hair" in the skin after plucking. They do really well in out hot weather, and I am transitioning my flock to all NN.
At what age do you process them? What size are they? I have never seen one in person.

Walt, I just gotta ask. What are the 90,000 females living out beside the garage? Wait, I just got it after I read your last post.

I'd love to have bees, but my wife is pretty allergic to them. If we get to buy the place next to us when it goes up for sale, I oughta be able to have some then. They would be over a mile from the house.
big_smile.png

Nevermind, I just found the thread. No hair, great egg layers, nice size, different feather styles and patterns, and they can live until I need them... I just found my new meat bird. Thank you. These broilers aren't exactly what I was looking for in the experience, they kinda creep me out.

At what age do you process them? What size are they? I have never seen one in person.

I process when they start crowing or harassing my ladies. I have been caponizing, and the nonslips (full capons) live much longer, minimum of 6 months. The slips (non capons) I have been processing have been 3-5 lbs dressed, depending on how soon they started crowing.

Back
Top Bottom