Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Meanwhile, I'm other news I finally got my first egg today !!! Yeee hawwww ! It's a bit on the small side but I'm sure as time goes on they will get bigger !!

wee.gif
woot.gif
Might be small.....but it's the first!.....YAY!

Might be small.....but it's the first!.....YAY!

Yesss WBF!!! Beautiful egg!!! :)

You go girl!!  Whichever one she is!!  Time to rev up the rest of the troops!
:weee

Thanks guys ! I'm excited as all get out !! Been a long 4.5 months ! Can't wait for the rest to start laying ! I believe this one came from one of my Black Sex-Link girls ! :D I also believe that the FF has helped with shell development ... We used to own chickens years ago and I sure as heck don't remember their first eggs looking as healthy and hard shelled as this one ! Can't wait to crack it open to see what it looks like !

Last edited:
Thanks guys ! I'm excited as all get out !! Been a long 4.5 months ! Can't wait for the rest to start laying ! I believe this one came from one of my Black Sex-Link girls ! :D I also believe that the FF has helped with shell development ... We used to own chickens years ago and I sure as heck don't remember their first eggs looking as healthy and hard shelled as this one ! Can't wait to crack it open to see what it looks like !

Oh I know what you mean about being so excited! When mine started laying I wouldn't even break one until I got a whole dozen! LOL And oh yeah, those shells are hard! I've had a couple layed from 3' up on the roost on bare ground- one had a little crack and the other wasn't even hurt. Then I dropped three from like 5' on to concrete with a little grass/leaves on it. One didn't even break and it seems like one of them was still useable, the other splat! lol And I dropped one in the kitchen floor, still useable and yolk not even broken. ...Dang I'm a clutz!!! LOL

Lowe's has food-grade 5 gal buckets, as well as the regular plastic ones. Food grade is white. I've had no staining, but also no fish meal. I'm a one-bucket gal.

ALSO Firehouse Subs sell their pickle buckets for a couple bucks each and the lids come with them. Although you'll have fits getting the pickle smell out believe me I have tried almost everything and they STILL smell. I'm using them for waterers with the little nipples on the bottoms and so far they are drinking the water. I tried filling them up with baking soda water to get the smell out for a week before I started using them for the chickens and I also put in some charcoal briquets sp? which worked to get the bad order ouf of my fridge and deep freeze after hurricane Katrina, BUT it's not working on these pickle buckets.

Back
Top Bottom