Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Quote: Easy solution: Don't stir... I haven't stirred a 5gal bucket or this 35gal can for almost a year. You also don't have to cover with water. Just keep it an easy scooping/feeding consistency.

I think a regular type tote would work. It's not food grade, but neither is my trash can. I just like to scoop the top layer off every day(personal preference) and with a regular rubbermaid storage tote, you'll have a larger surface area to scoop.

I asked in another thread and I'll ask here too. Do you put your birds in a bag or whatever you use for freezing, first, or do you let them "rest" in the fridge nekkid before bagging and freezing? I'm in the process of processing lol. I'm having a bit of trouble with swarms of ladybugs, they get between my glasses and what I'm looking at and down my shirt lol they tickle. Almost mistook my finger for something I wanted to cut off....

Walt
Walt, I take mine to a processor (we are fortunate to have an inspected facility for "personal use" nearby) but pick them up straight from the cooling tank, not bagged. I put them in disinfected, clean ice coolers layering ice and Kosher/canning (non-iodized) salt. When I get home, I let the hose run (I have a well) and then fill the coolers with cold water. My birds "rest" for two days in the cold brine. I check for melting and open the drain to let some water out and add ice (or frozen bottles of water made for this purpose and then emptied and recycled when done) when needed. After the two days, I take them out of the coolers a few at a time and rinse and check for any "missed" feathers/shafts and place on my kitchen island on towels to "dry". After I do a dozen, I pat dry and then put them in freezer bags. I weigh them and write the weight on the bag with a Sharpie. Put them in the freezer....do the next group...repeat.. until done. I don't have room in my refrigerator for resting more than one at a time so that is not an option since I do batches of 25 or 30 at a time.

We have had the box elder bugs for the last few weeks and now that the corn and beans are harvested across the street, the Asian lady beetles are making their appearance. They are a pain in the patootie!

Last edited:
Easy solution: Don't stir... I haven't stirred a 5gal bucket or this 35gal can for almost a year. You also don't have to cover with water. Just keep it an easy scooping/feeding consistency.

I think a regular type tote would work. It's not food grade, but neither is my trash can. I just like to scoop the top layer off every day(personal preference) and with a regular rubbermaid storage tote, you'll have a larger surface area to scoop.

Just looked it up. Rubbermaid products ARE food grade. The other junk they sell el cheapo is NOT.

I've thought about that but I'd have to find something to stir and dip with... without getting it in my armpits. hahahaha Also, do the regular rubbermaid type totes work or will they melt down like the wicked witch on the Wizard of Oz.
smile.png

Same type of plastic as the trash cans, I'd say. They would be my first choice because I'm only 5'4", so lifting a feed bag up to fill one of those things with this old cracked back of mine would require I have a shorter receptacle. It would be easier to stir or dip the mass, I'm thinking, as well. Now, if a person were taller, the trash can would be the way to go so you'd not have to stoop all the time to work or dispense the feed.

Wallyworld has some HUGE totes that are a reasonable price...an 18 gal. roughneck Rubbermaid is $8.24 and the prices go up as the sizes go up, so you can get an idea of how much one would cost.

I''m sure this was posted somewhere but I can't find it. What do you do when the weather is cold? I have been fermenting since summer and would like to continue through the winter. Is warmth necessary?

Same type of plastic as the trash cans, I'd say.  They would be my first choice because I'm only 5'4", so lifting a feed bag up to fill one of those things with this old cracked back of mine would require I have a shorter receptacle.  It would be easier to stir or dip the mass, I'm thinking, as well.  Now, if a person were taller, the trash can would be the way to go so you'd not have to stoop all the time to work or dispense the feed. 

Wallyworld has some HUGE totes that are a reasonable price...an 18 gal. roughneck Rubbermaid is $8.24 and the prices go up as the sizes go up, so you can get an idea of how much one would cost. 

Any idea what to mix/stir it up with?

Same type of plastic as the trash cans, I'd say. They would be my first choice because I'm only 5'4", so lifting a feed bag up to fill one of those things with this old cracked back of mine would require I have a shorter receptacle. It would be easier to stir or dip the mass, I'm thinking, as well. Now, if a person were taller, the trash can would be the way to go so you'd not have to stoop all the time to work or dispense the feed.

If you are keeping it outside, you need to make sure the container is made for outside use, if you guys are talking about the indoor plastic totes it won't hold up to sun, freeze/thaw type situations it will become brittle and break in a short time.

That's one consideration, for sure. How do your trash cans hold up to the weather and such when filled with FF? Mine would be in the coop, so it wouldn't get much exposure to the elements but it would still be exposed to temp fluctuations. The buckets seem to last for years upon years being left outside in the elements, so I'm thinking they have a different toughness of the plastic as well.

Back
Top Bottom