Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I made an insulated box to see if the ff would not freeze during the winter. We have temp down into the teens and below regularly here.

The box didn't cost me a thing. I had all the materials here. Only cost was my time.
null_zps4d0dfff5.jpg

null_zpsbf1cef25.jpg

I put a thermometer inside to see what the temperature difference is between inside the box and outside.
I came up with the idea after seeing one built for a stock tank

Awesome box of FF doom. err insulation =).

Looking at your setup made me think about if it would be possible to use an old Coleman cooler like this one http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-30000...qid=1383188028&sr=8-5&keywords=coleman+cooler I'm thinking just put the FF in and close the lid.
We don't usually get very cold winters here. Sometimes the temp gets down to the high 20's but that's rare. Maybe once every other year or so. Would that work OK maybe?
I would have to guess that it probably would. I dont see why it wouldnt?

Your best layer could have a messy butt simply due to being "open", which means her vent may be nice and loose because she's in lay and with the bigger size of her eggs, so she doesn't pinch off a loaf as well as she used to do. That's another thing my granny used to point out...that often the best layers had the messiest butts and I can tell when a few of my hens that lay the larger eggs are laying simply by looking at their fluffy feathers when they walk away from me. Middle sister went from having a snowy, spotless rear to a white butt with a black streak down the middle a few weeks back when she came back into lay. Little Red is the only hen I currently have that doesn't get a messy butt when she is open and laying and that's because she lays a small egg, so her butt is never very loose.
I have had messy butts with my big girls. It was nasty. It wasn't an infection, they just oozed all the time. I did some research and read that calcium can cause it. When I put everyone on grower, because I had gotten the tots, the big girls messy butts cleared right up. They have been on layer again because I was trying to use up the little I had left and the messy butts came back. Today they start on grains. No more commercial layer feed for them.

RoseMarie- I trim the feathers around their vent with scissor then wipe their butts off with baby wipes. It takes a few times to get the dried on clumps off the feathers closest to their vent.

Is there any way for that set up to gas off?
No there are no ventilation holes. When I opened it yesterday to stir it everything seemed ok in there. I would guess there is enough ventilation tho since there has been no condensation on the plexiglass front. And there is no condensation on the blue insulation inside either.

Be careful just closing the lid. I did that ONCE. It will STIIIINK something awful in 12-24 hours. Being cold may slow down the stinking process because the feed ferments slower, but if your lows are in the 20's, it won't take very long.

Perhaps try keeping the lid cracked, or keep the cooler covered with just a towel to try to keep some heat in.

colburg

DO NOT seal the FF lid.

This can go very wrong.
It needs to breathe or it will gasp for air by popping that top right off or compromising the container its in- it could burst. And let me tell you, while sorta funny now, when my 1st bucket burst because a helpful person sealed the lid I left cracked open - them mess that was left was incredible. Soooooo glad no one was around when it did.
I use 5 gallon buckets with hard to snap lids and snap only one side. Nothing gets in but air can escape.

Be careful just closing the lid.  I did that ONCE.  It will STIIIINK something awful in 12-24 hours.  Being cold may slow down the stinking process because the feed ferments slower, but if your lows are in the 20's, it won't take very long.

Perhaps try keeping the lid cracked, or keep the cooler covered with just a towel to try to keep some heat in.

colburg

Last edited:
I love you too, Rose.
hugs.gif
As time and seasons go along you'll get to notice all this stuff for yourself in your flock if you are curious enough to pick up your birds and examine them closely for bodily changes as they go along. I was just getting ready to go up and check my four young pullet's vents tonight to see if they are laying yet but just dropping them in the woods. They just passed their 6 mo. mark and the rooster isn't showing them much interest, so I could be jumping the gun...but I also know he won't divide his interest between two flocks and I have two older girls laying, which means he will stick close and be breeding them more.

Those youngsters are always off in the woods and away from the other birds but I could have sworn one of them had the back of her neck a little ruffled the other day, so I'm wondering if he is covering her without me getting to see it happening. She's also been sleeping next to him on the roost and that's usually the place reserved for active layers. Since they still have some glowingly white butts, I'm doubting they are open but I'll check them anyway just so I can get a feel for how close they are getting.

This is Hope in a pic taken last month and she is my largest pullet of the four. She's also been breaking off from the other pullets a little and can be seen with the main flock more, so I'm thinking she is the one to watch for the onset of lay soon. I love her look, I love how she carries herself and even her face...she reminds me of a young Bertha and I predict she will be the matriarch of this flock in her prime.

Look at those feathers! Beautiful BF!

I love you too, Rose.
hugs.gif
As time and seasons go along you'll get to notice all this stuff for yourself in your flock if you are curious enough to pick up your birds and examine them closely for bodily changes as they go along. I was just getting ready to go up and check my four young pullet's vents tonight to see if they are laying yet but just dropping them in the woods. They just passed their 6 mo. mark and the rooster isn't showing them much interest, so I could be jumping the gun...but I also know he won't divide his interest between two flocks and I have two older girls laying, which means he will stick close and be breeding them more.

Those youngsters are always off in the woods and away from the other birds but I could have sworn one of them had the back of her neck a little ruffled the other day, so I'm wondering if he is covering her without me getting to see it happening. She's also been sleeping next to him on the roost and that's usually the place reserved for active layers. Since they still have some glowingly white butts, I'm doubting they are open but I'll check them anyway just so I can get a feel for how close they are getting.

This is Hope in a pic taken last month and she is my largest pullet of the four. She's also been breaking off from the other pullets a little and can be seen with the main flock more, so I'm thinking she is the one to watch for the onset of lay soon. I love her look, I love how she carries herself and even her face...she reminds me of a young Bertha and I predict she will be the matriarch of this flock in her prime.

She is beautiful Bee. Are the two in the back Faith and Charity?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom