Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I have a question for you guys... Did y'all eat the eggs that you had freeze and crack during the cold weather?
THe yolk doesn't recover from freezing-- so I scramble it, smashit really, with other eggs for a quasi scrambled egg. Tastes the same.

Quote:
My DH knew a guy who had a $400,000 (Yes..That Much) show pig that he had CLONED to the tune of $150K and he got 5 more clones from the process. I personally can't even fathom someone willing to pay that much for PORK.
ep.gif

No pork . . . for the genes . . . .

For what its worth.... The clone extends the genetic life of the exceptional example. If that animal is of a quality to pass on exceptional genes... It is worth it.

Those genes passed on down the line Will feed many many people. Where that is used.... Is up to the people involved.

Me personally I would prefer to raise up some old bloodlines.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucestershire_Old_Spots

Good Brooder... UM er raise up her babies on her own. Good forager.... Well Um you get it.

deb
Thumbs up , Deb!!!

I guess I shouldn't have interjected my part on "high-end" genetics in this format. Now that it's out there I will add a bit of context. Supreme genetics are used to shift populations (whether you agree with it or not). In the case I mentioned, the Argentenians and the Brazilians will buy everything he will produce. They can import semen and embryos but it is nearly impossible to import live animals. The genetics are far superior than what is currently available and these individuals are the front runners for what the cattle industry will be in these countries for the next 30 years. We are talking about hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of head of native cattle. Also, these cattle are far removed from the "show cattle" people are familiar with but bred to standards with progeny and production records kept. Folks don't accidently spend this kind of money. Sorry for even mentioning it as this concept is definitely out of place on a back-yard-chicken forum.
I am from a commercial ag background education wise.... my bet that $400K was a boar, and he can cover a lot of girls in his life time. THen his cloned sons can take over. There is no way we can feed the US population without the "factory" pork products. So I don't bash their ways. However I am all for as many people as possible raising up their own food, using the resources available at hand.Bringing back the small farms.

I have lived in the world of horses for a few years-- Secratariat's stud fee was $80,000 and Nijinsky II at $120,000. THese are race horses long since gone to the race track in the sky.

Love the conversations on this thread!!

I'm scouting out scarlet runner beans ( seeds) for this year. I loved the results from a small package last year and even kept a few seeds. Purple and black, so very odd. And the scarlet flowers were gorgeous; Very hardy. Looking for bulk, at bulk prices.

Last edited:
Angel/TW, I process by 12 weeks, regardless of size. If they reach 4lbs in time, I will process at 10 weeks. I aim for 4-5lbs. Some of my customers would prefer that I butcher young instead of butcher big but I don't care so it really depends on if I'm selling or not and to whom.

Oh man! I actually just sprouted some scarlet runner beans that were 3-4 years old stored in a plastic baggy in my cupboard! :D Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Cheese and crackers!! I just came across a newer thread of Great Depression 2016 and it scared the crap out of me. All about deficit and China and spending yada yada. I only read 3 out of 35 pages but it seems I'm not working fast enough to be self sustaining. Bigger garden, buy more seeds, chicks and grain. I'm old enough that it won't matter much for me but I worry about my kids. Most of the country seems to be oblivious. Hmmm.
hide.gif

On a different note. Peeled 10 thousand potatoes for fries and onions to go with our steaks for superbowl. Steak is such a treat that we don't invest often. ha

Fermenting alfalfa cubes for a feed try...they gobble it up as a cube. How many soaked cubes should I add with 2lbs of dry pellets (an 18% pro blend with manna* that they thrive on currently) its an alfalfa 16% hard packed cube.

Im talking rabbit fermented feed, I should have mentioned that, if I ask this on a rabbit thread, they just won't be too nice I think lol, maybe I'm wrong but here is where the best knowledge in the subject has been :). My chicken FF is amazing for ALL my flocks and I recommend it to everyone! But I want to see if the "stretching the feed further part" helps with cost in rabbits too. Hubby is building an additional room and we just refinished 2 rooms for our boarders and breeding stock. We are about to have 10x's the rabbits.
Lol
I don't mind the "work" part of FF at all because the benefits are incredible. But my breeding stock is doing great on how we feed them and I don't want to disrupt that yet.

I do however have a few 7-8 week old bucks now I can separate and feed a special diet, even a set of kits due any day (dont count babies til 5 days late so may be another week still before even born, if)
But if they are I can try from 3/4 weeks to test meat taste difference or growth rates... Whatcha y'all think?

Last edited:
I can't wait to see how it all works out! I can understand why you didn't mention in on traditional threads...folks get hostile when you want to feed your own animals what you would like to feed them. I don't know why they take it personally and get nasty like that, but that's ever the way for those that stand out from the herd/pack. They are roundly attacked for merely being different.

Thought I'd give a little update on Rodney's frost bitten comb. After applying 2 or 3 good coats of castor oil I think his comb is looking a lot better. Just a few white/yellowish tips that he'll likely lose, but no infection and his comb has bounced back really good from what it was !

Thanks to Bee for suggesting that I try using castor oil... It definitely seems to have helped !

Back
Top Bottom