Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I have been feeding my layer flock FF for about 2 weeks now. They love it. Today I noticed their feathers look so shiny and healthy. And the coop doesn't stink anymore. It's amazing!

Last edited:
I have been feeding my layer flock FF for about 2 weeks now. They love it. Today I noticed their feathers look so shiny and healthy. And the coop doesn't stink anymore. It's amazing!

I know! It never ceases to amaze me when I walk into my coop and there are no smells, even in the hottest part of summer. For an old chickener, that's an amazing thing and my 80 yr old mother always comments on it...she is well versed in the smell of chicken coops and can't get over the clean smell of mine. She is also pleased that the chicken poop in the yard does not stink nor attract flies...I never have a fly in my coop. I think that is partly due to the FF and also to the cultivated deep litter system, which complements it.

Just wait until your birds molt and see how quickly they recover and how lush the feathering! It's simply wonderful to see. I have a thread on here that details the recovery of an old and ill used layer flock and how quickly they were restored to good health and full feathering in a matter of weeks.

Ok everyone, I'm ready! I am going to jump into this FF stuff! I think I have the basics down and I am ready to head down to do some mixing. I scored a bunch of food grade buckets from the grocery store. Stir stick? Does anyone see any problems with an old barkless pine branch that I pick up from the yard?

Ok everyone, I'm ready! I am going to jump into this FF stuff! I think I have the basics down and I am ready to head down to do some mixing. I scored a bunch of food grade buckets from the grocery store. Stir stick? Does anyone see any problems with an old barkless pine branch that I pick up from the yard?
I've been using 5 gal buckets for my FF and just use a large 'cafeteria style' spoon to stir.
I'm increasing my chicken operation, and going to be needing more feed soon. I'm probably going to use plastic garbage cans and a narrow 'drain' shovel to stir it.

edited to add;
I get cheap kitchen ware from the Tender Hearts or Goodwill that I use for the chickens.
Love to use those square Corelle dishes for feeding.

Last edited:

Nothing better!! One lady puts hers in a 33 trash can and uses a paddle.
lau.gif

Okay, im sure this has been asked before, but I cant seem to make myself reed through close to 16k of pages for the answer!

How do you feed fermented feed to layers?

Whatever the can eat in 15 minutes, twice a day? Or how do you do it?

Thanks!

Okay, im sure this has been asked before, but I cant seem to make myself reed through close to 16k of pages for the answer!

How do you feed fermented feed to layers?

Whatever the can eat in 15 minutes, twice a day? Or how do you do it?

Thanks!

Why not????? I did - it only took 2 weeks. OK, OK, OK, I am anal about research - but some has to be done sometime. Short answer is add your normal feed to a bucket - add water to cover by about 2-3 inches (dry feed absorbs a LOT of water), stir, wait, stir, wait, if it needs a bit more water - add it, stir, wait. 3 days and you're good to go once you see good bubbles. The longer the ferment time the stronger the good stuff gets. If you see a white 'scum' on the top - STIR IT IN - ITS THE GOOD STUFF.

HOWEVER - I am also one to want a quick fix - so I used warm (not hot) water and about a tablespoon of ACV with the 'mother'. Works like a charm - the girls will LOVE it ! You will need a trough type feeder (or a dog bowl etc).

I am still learning - but the reading of 'The Road Less Travelled' (and yes - I read every single post on that thread as well) and this thread will teach you absolutely everything you want or need to know - believe me BeeKissed is "the Man" on fermented feed.

And she will no doubt give me a good smack for this post
smack.gif

Welcome to those intelligent enough to want the best for our laying girls (and duel purpose) - (almost) everyone on here is patient and willing to help - even someone as obnoxious as me - but I am English so cannot really be held to your wonderful standards (and believe me I am NOT being sarcastic here) I have found very useful, helpful people here - just that as a retired lecturer I find it hard to understand people not wanting/prepared to read completely through a thread where there is so much really good information. I am also old - forgive me.

Everyone seems to do it a little differently - Bee will feed usually once a day during the good weather - in winter she will feed twice a day - really its a case of feeding and watching your flock for any changes, if they bloom - you are doing it right, if they seem to lose condition - and appear to be losing weight - up your feeding. It really is not a "one size fits all" kind of thing. All our girls are different, different temperatures, different circumstances, can they free range over a couple of acres - or are they confined to a run like mine are unfortunately??

I do apologize unreservedly if I have offended you - it was not my intention

Bee feel free to smack an upstart down hard - I am 15 years older than you are - even if I am just a baby who cannot crawl yet - I can take it.

lol.png
No, I think you done "real good" and I applaud you...no, I give you a standing ovation!...for reading these threads in their entirety!! That's dedication and a willingness to learn that I admire greatly...so few have it.
thumbsup.gif

So much has changed since the very beginning and we all have learned so much, changed how we feed, how often we feed, how much we feed, etc. down through the years of this learning curve that one really needs to read past the first pages of the thread to see how this method has evolved.

For the newbies, the best FAQs guide I can offer was put together by one of our fine FF friends...I haven't read it all completely but skimmed it and it seems to cover just about every little thing....shout out to our dear, hard-working TikkTok!!!
woot.gif
I would bookmark this link because you'll be referring to it often, most likely, and also passing it along to others. I've posted this very link several times in the past few days.

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

lol.png
No, I think you done "real good" and I applaud you...no, I give you a standing ovation!...for reading these threads in their entirety!! That's dedication and a willingness to learn that I admire greatly...so few have it.
thumbsup.gif

So much has changed since the very beginning and we all have learned so much, changed how we feed, how often we feed, how much we feed, etc. down through the years of this learning curve that one really needs to read past the first pages of the thread to see how this method has evolved.

For the newbies, the best FAQs guide I can offer was put together by one of our fine FF friends...I haven't read it all completely but skimmed it and it seems to cover just about every little thing....shout out to our dear, hard-working TikkTok!!!
woot.gif
I would bookmark this link because you'll be referring to it often, most likely, and also passing it along to others. I've posted this very link several times in the past few days.

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/
woot.gif
for TikkTok A very kind and caring person who really , really put herself out to do this.
hugs.gif
I think everybody's bookmarked it. I've used it on several threads.

Why not????? I did - it only took 2 weeks. OK, OK, OK, I am anal about research - but some has to be done sometime. Short answer is add your normal feed to a bucket - add water to cover by about 2-3 inches (dry feed absorbs a LOT of water), stir, wait, stir, wait, if it needs a bit more water - add it, stir, wait. 3 days and you're good to go once you see good bubbles. The longer the ferment time the stronger the good stuff gets. If you see a white 'scum' on the top - STIR IT IN - ITS THE GOOD STUFF.

HOWEVER - I am also one to want a quick fix - so I used warm (not hot) water and about a tablespoon of ACV with the 'mother'. Works like a charm - the girls will LOVE it ! You will need a trough type feeder (or a dog bowl etc).

I am still learning - but the reading of 'The Road Less Travelled' (and yes - I read every single post on that thread as well) and this thread will teach you absolutely everything you want or need to know - believe me BeeKissed is "the Man" on fermented feed.

And she will no doubt give me a good smack for this post
smack.gif

Welcome to those intelligent enough to want the best for our laying girls (and duel purpose) - (almost) everyone on here is patient and willing to help - even someone as obnoxious as me - but I am English so cannot really be held to your wonderful standards (and believe me I am NOT being sarcastic here) I have found very useful, helpful people here - just that as a retired lecturer I find it hard to understand people not wanting/prepared to read completely through a thread where there is so much really good information. I am also old - forgive me.

Everyone seems to do it a little differently - Bee will feed usually once a day during the good weather - in winter she will feed twice a day - really its a case of feeding and watching your flock for any changes, if they bloom - you are doing it right, if they seem to lose condition - and appear to be losing weight - up your feeding. It really is not a "one size fits all" kind of thing. All our girls are different, different temperatures, different circumstances, can they free range over a couple of acres - or are they confined to a run like mine are unfortunately??

I do apologize unreservedly if I have offended you - it was not my intention

Bee feel free to smack an upstart down hard - I am 15 years older than you are - even if I am just a baby who cannot crawl yet - I can take it.

I love your posts.
celebrate.gif
I get such joy out of your common sense and humor. Retired lecturer. No wonder.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom