Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Can you please describe where TSC is that you bought those red plastic feeders, and how you modified them? Is it the wire across the top you added? I really need something like that for my FF to keep the meaties from walking through it or knocking it over.
TSC is Tractor Supply and they are all over the place here, but I don't know about the West Coast. You can get them online:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/harris-farms-flip-top-chick-feeder-20-in-l

I just took the lid off and used a small piece of welded wire horse fence that has 2" x 4" spacing. I used my husband's fencing pliars to bend the sharp edges back on themselves, and used small zip ties to attach the piece to the back where the lid had been attached. I attached it so that it can be pulled over and secured by the snaps that stick up in the front of the plastic tray.

I don't know if this is the fence or not but it is something similar. We got this fence to cover a farm gate we already had so we could use it where the chickens pasture so they couldn't get through into the pasture where the cows are, so I got a piece of it and the grid was a perfect fit for those feeders around the edges. Of course we now have a huge amount of fence left but that made more sense than buying another gate. We already have had other projects and used some of it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/non-climb-horse-fence-48-in-x-100-ft

Can you please describe where TSC is that you bought those red plastic feeders, and how you modified them? Is it the wire across the top you added? I really need something like that for my FF to keep the meaties from walking through it or knocking it over.
You could also use plastic drywall pans. They have them at any home improvement store. Probably even Walmart. Screw them to a couple pieces of wood to stop them from being turned over. You could cut a piece of wielded wire to fit over top and just turn the ends down. A bungee cord on each end could hold the wire on. Just run the bungee under the pan.

My flock loves the FF so much that I am considering fermenting my cow grains for finishing our beef. Do any of you have experience with this you could share?

They used to ferment silage. Probably still do. I say go for it. At least a portion of their feed and see.
highfive.gif

I remember feeding fermented silage to milking cows but I was in grade school that was long ago.
Ak rain

They used to ferment silage.  Probably still do.   I say go for it.   At least a portion of their feed and see.  :highfive:

My steers have green grass pastures for their main food source, it's just for taming them to come to the feed bucket that we use a bit of grain the last 2 weeks before slaughter.

Sounds like I will try to ferment some dry cob and see how they do. My husband thinks they need wet cob with molalsses but I think molasses would turn into alcohol in a ferment bucket! I don't want drunk cows!

My steers have green grass pastures for their main food source, it's just for taming them to come to the feed bucket that we use a bit of grain the last 2 weeks before slaughter.

Sounds like I will try to ferment some dry cob and see how they do. My husband thinks they need wet cob with molalsses but I think molasses would turn into alcohol in a ferment bucket! I don't want drunk cows!
Just keep their blood alcohol in a moderate range...
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom