Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

What recipe do you use to make EM-1?
idunno.gif
I'm wondering too!

What is EM -1?

Sorry it's taken so long. I wanted to get permission from pdirt to use his booklet. I ordered it from Amazon for $32 qt because I don't have the patience to do the long version. It will last me over a year maybe two. I've sprayed down the coop with it and am hoping it will be as good as they say. Healthier. This is just a different way to Ferment feed. It can be done for free with just air and water and feed. I wanted it for the soil amendment and garden first. Then I found out about the feed.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/144ffc5f2314b026?projector=1

edited for content: Sorry you have to go to my inbox and click on the box

Last edited:
I started fermenting mash for them after reading this thread. I add a little ACV and start it with boiling or boiled water. The girls love it. I wasted about half a sack of layers mash in my first few weeks with them, because they just chucked it around the place and didn't ever peck it up off the floor. *you can see it spread around the feeder in the avatar to the left!) The soil got to be a couple of inches thick with it around where I used to feed them, and I got the idea of fermenting when I turned it over with a fork and it smelled sour/fermented rather than rotten, and they dived in there at the speed of light making happy noises. I Googled fermented chicken feed and found this thread, to my great glee.

Since then, the same size sack has lasted me three times as long, and there's still a third left to go. I add a little scratch to the layers' mash and I also used it to get rid of layers pellets bought between sacks that they refused point blank to eat. Great money-saver. I put it in a food-grade bucket covered in a muslin square. It lasts a little under a week before going stinky.

Last edited:
Sorry it's taken so long. I wanted to get permission from pdirt to use his booklet. I ordered it from Amazon for $32 qt because I don't have the patience to do the long version. It will last me over a year maybe two. I've sprayed down the coop with it and am hoping it will be as good as they say. Healthier. This is just a different way to Ferment feed. It can be done for free with just air and water and feed. I wanted it for the soil amendment and garden first. Then I found out about the feed.

"The conversation that you requested no longer exist" That is what it says when I try to use the link above. But if you can order it from Amazon I can go there and check it out. Thanks.

my meat birds are in 3 week learning to fly (out of coop). They are liking the ff and seem to be healthy.

my meat birds are in 3 week learning to fly (out of coop). They are liking the ff and seem to be healthy.

Sounds like you got hold of some wild CX like I did. Mine are about 12 weeks old and still running and flying most places they go. But they can't get quite as far off the ground now... kinda like me. LOL

I started fermenting mash for them after reading this thread. I add a little ACV and start it with boiling or boiled water. The girls love it. I wasted about half a sack of layers mash in my first few weeks with them, because they just chucked it around the place and didn't ever peck it up off the floor. *you can see it spread around the feeder in the avatar to the left!) The soil got to be a couple of inches thick with it around where I used to feed them, and I got the idea of fermenting when I turned it over with a fork and it smelled sour/fermented rather than rotten, and they dived in there at the speed of light making happy noises. I Googled fermented chicken feed and found this thread, to my great glee.

Since then, the same size sack has lasted me three times as long, and there's still a third left to go. I add a little scratch to the layers' mash and I also used it to get rid of layers pellets bought between sacks that they refused point blank to eat. Great money-saver. I put it in a food-grade bucket covered in a muslin square. It lasts a little under a week before going stinky.
welcome-byc.gif
You certainly have come to the right place. We love FF.

Welcome, glad you found FF! :) Be sure to only use cool to luke warm water when you refresh you feed. Boiling water will kill your ferment after it has started. Good luck!

Sounds like you got hold of some wild CX like I did. Mine are about 12 weeks old and still running and flying most places they go. But they can't get quite as far off the ground now... kinda like me. LOL

The cx and turkeys did get separated today as competing for food was issue
At what age did you take outside?
Ak rain

This link works, it brings you to my inbox. Click on Jason's message and a box will appear. Click on it. It is an 8 page booklet that tells all about EM-1. How to use it. How much to use. Different recipes. Worth looking for. Let me know if you can't get in and I'll have pdirt sent it directly.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom