Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Being rather anal (as well as sometimes more than adequately curious), when I find something of interest (like this thread for example) I take the time and read from front to back
caf.gif
, first to last. I'm the same with books... could never go read the end prior to getting to it the "hard" way. It would be easier, granted, but I'd be forever curious as to what I missed in-between
wink.png
And, the stuff I skipped when I went to the end just wouldn't be the same reading after already at the conclusion/present. Just me... a bit strange perhaps...
I think I read it to somewhere like 300 pages and then went to the end page and started going backwards. lol

People sure make a lot out of this fermented feed thing. Linda seems to be the expert around but seriously everyone just try it. It's not an exact science, figure out what works with your situation
hugs.gif
yeah it really is very easy and some times we just make too much out of it. I read and read and read some more and then jumped in and did it. Haven't looked back since!!!!
wink.png

This is mine I just made the other day from a vinyl rain gutter. Very light weight without the wood.

Should be able to figure a way to attach it to the wire sides of a tractor. If metal is for sure stainless steel should do okay for FF but if it is galvanized aluminum like most older feeders it may not do as well. But if they are only fed in meals where they eat it all quickly then it probably won't matter. Do you have a pic of your metal troughs?
GOOD idea with the little roof. My juvies as I call them want to walk around IN THE trough! ARG! Might have to find me something to rig up on mine so they can't get IN the thing!
roll.png

Right now, mine are right at a month old. I still am feeding them twice a day out of a 9" deep glass pie dish/plate. They all jump right in the middle (or try... they obviously won't all fit
gig.gif
) and act like they've never been fed before and are on the verge of starvation. Then there are those that run around the outside and when they've had enough they fly up and land right in the middle. In any case, that's fine with me... They track some of the food out into the bedding on their feet, and then scratch around all day eating the residue
yippiechickie.gif
problem solved!

Last edited:
Right now, mine are right at a month old. I still am feeding them twice a day out of a 9" deep glass pie dish/plate. They all jump right in the middle (or try... they obviously won't all fit
gig.gif
) and act like they've never been fed before and are on the verge of starvation. Then there are those that run around the outside and when they've had enough they fly up and land right in the middle. In any case, that's fine with me... They track some of the food out into the bedding on their feet, and then scratch around all day eating the residue
yippiechickie.gif
problem solved!
gig.gif
mine do the same thing although they're a month old and they have the long red chick feeder. I NEED to go get the cover and put on it but I bet their heads wouldn't fit into those holes now. I keep moving their metal things I have their food sitting on so they can get all the food under it they drop so there's less waste.

I ferment scratch or corn only, no feed and add that to their diet. everyone loves it. Start with ACV with the mother but you can save the liquid from old batches and use that. My mash juice is 3 or4 years old and I brew in open 5 gallon buckets outside wide open with no cover

I only made the mistake of leaving the top off once. I keep it in the coop and I ended up with two Golden Comets stuck in the ff. Poor babies had been there a while. I gave them a bath.
lau.gif

It's a PITY there can't be a sticky for lack of a better word on here some where we could point them to every time they ask the same questions over and over. Not the same person asking the same ? but new ones. It sure would help to have directions and it stay put so we could say, here, this is the link. Check it out.
big_smile.png

This is why Tikktocjane added it to her blog. Quick to get to. I have it bookmarked so I can pull it up.

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

gig.gif
mine do the same thing although they're a month old and they have the long red chick feeder. I NEED to go get the cover and put on it but I bet their heads wouldn't fit into those holes now. I keep moving their metal things I have their food sitting on so they can get all the food under it they drop so there's less waste.
I turned the top cover over and squish it down on the food for the first few weeks. Some will still stand on top to eat but it helps keep bedding out of it.

Back
Top Bottom