Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

What are your best methods for straining?
I'm pouring through a fine kitchen strainer, but it's time consuming.
Thought about putting a wire mesh in a bucket, but wasn't sure if I'd have rust problems. Or if the bolts attaching it would rust
I used to serve out of a kitchen strainer with a handle, could let it sit on the edge of the bucket while it finished draining. That, before I went to the dryer method which I so much prefer.

I found a large plastic strainer with a handle. The holes are larger and it drains everything much faster than something with fine holes
I used to serve out of a kitchen strainer with a handle, could let it sit on the edge of the bucket while it finished draining.  That, before I went to the dryer method which I so much prefer.                             
i currently do that but have 2 seperate areas of chickens. The young birds and then older ones about 150 feet away.
It wouldn't be so time consuming if I didn't have to go through the process so much.
It will be less work when they're all on automatic waterers

I found a large plastic strainer with a handle. The holes are larger and it drains everything much faster than something with fine holes
thank you will try it

I do not drain mine. I make it thick like oatmeal and feed it that way. I think some of the nutrients may stay in the water if drained so best for me to feed it like thick oatmeal. It's been working well for me for 4 months now. I make enough for 4 days or so, then when it's low in the bucket I add water, stir well and enough feed for 4 more days. My chickens are so much healthier these days. So many Facebook poultry people have been complaining about no eggs and molting hens this month and I have tons of eggs and not one hen is molting. I think it's the FF!

I use cracked corn only because it's smaller pieces so I figured it would absorb some moisture better and break down easier
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Thought about putting a wire mesh in a bucket, but wasn't sure if I'd have rust problems. Or if the bolts attaching it would rust
I used to serve out of a kitchen strainer with a handle, could let it sit on the edge of the bucket while it finished draining. That, before I went to the dryer method which I so much prefer.
I do not drain mine. I make it thick like oatmeal and feed it that way. I think some of the nutrients may stay in the water if drained so best for me to feed it like thick oatmeal. It's been working well for me for 4 months now. I make enough for 4 days or so, then when it's low in the bucket I add water, stir well and enough feed for 4 more days. My chickens are so much healthier these days. So many Facebook poultry people have been complaining about no eggs and molting hens this month and I have tons of eggs and not one hen is molting. I think it's the FF!

As Beverly & Renee explained above, there's really no need to go through the hassles of straining
woot.gif
There's no need to keep the feed "covered" with water
ya.gif
. The fermentation process destroys mold, so the feed will NOT go moldy as long as you are using it and renewing it with fresh grains/pellets/crumbles/whatever and water (as you use it). If you make it and forget it, after 3 weeks or more, there might be an issue with mold...
barnie.gif
my buckets (I use 2, one for each coop) last approximately 4-5 days each. When I first started with chicks, they were lasting almost 2 weeks and I never had mold.

When you first mix it up (the very first time), it should be really loose and soupy. After it has been sitting for a couple of days it will absorb the water and become more "firm." If it gets really dry, add more water and give it a stir... If it stays in a puddle, then add more grain, etc. and give it a stir. After the 3-4 day period it should (ideally) be the consistency of cooked and served oatmeal... not too soupy, but not a brick either. During the 3-4 day process, you don't HAVE to stir it, though some folks think their stirring it makes the process work better/faster
hide.gif

After you've almost emptied the bucket, with maybe an inch or two left in the bottom, it's time to "back slop" by adding water (I use warm, but not necessary, from the tap, the little bit of chlorine makes no difference) & your amounts of grain/pellets/crumbles/whatever (I do the mix first, then add water), give it a good stir to mix the old with the new, cover it with the towel, let it sit over night in a warm place, the next morning it will be ready to serve. Once I make it, I carry the buckets out to the coop and leave one in each coop. When they need to be refreshed, I bring them in the house and make them, then back out to the coops they go.

There ya have it... no straining, no mess, no hassles, and my birds love it, their feathers shine, and I have had zero health issues
fl.gif
. They have not reached POL yet, but I'm sure eager to taste some of those eggs when they come
celebrate.gif
Good luck and good health to you and your birds!

edited for grammer and smelling
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:

As Beverly & Renee explained above, there's really no need to go through the hassles of straining
woot.gif
There's no need to keep the feed "covered" with water
ya.gif
. The fermentation process destroys mold, so the feed will NOT go moldy as long as you are using it and renewing it with fresh grains/pellets/crumbles/whatever and water (as you use it). If you make it and forget it, after 3 weeks or more, there might be an issue with mold...
barnie.gif
my buckets (I use 2, one for each coop) last approximately 4-5 days each. When I first started with chicks, they were lasting almost 2 weeks and I never had mold.

When you first mix it up (the very first time), it should be really loose and soupy. After it has been sitting for a couple of days it will absorb the water and become more "firm." If it gets really dry, add more water and give it a stir... If it stays in a puddle, then add more grain, etc. and give it a stir. After the 3-4 day period it should (ideally) be the consistency of cooked and served oatmeal... not too soupy, but not a brick either. During the 3-4 day process, you don't HAVE to stir it, though some folks think their stirring it makes the process work better/faster
hide.gif

After you've almost emptied the bucket, with maybe an inch or two left in the bottom, it's time to "back slop" by adding water (I use warm, but not necessary, from the tap, the little bit of chlorine makes no difference) & your amounts of grain/pellets/crumbles/whatever (I do the mix first, then add water), give it a good stir to mix the old with the new, cover it with the towel, let it sit over night in a warm place, the next morning it will be ready to serve. Once I make it, I carry the buckets out to the coop and leave one in each coop. When they need to be refreshed, I bring them in the house and make them, then back out to the coops they go.

There ya have it... no straining, no mess, no hassles, and my birds love it, their feathers shine, and I have had zero health issues
fl.gif
. They have not reached POL yet, but I'm sure eager to taste some of those eggs when they come
celebrate.gif
Good luck and good health to you and your birds!

edited for grammer and smelling
wink.png

My 12 girls were born 3/23 and started laying about 10 days ago. 2 a day then 3 a day and yesterday I got 4. So that means that up to 6 or so are laying and will skip a day . Loving it, absolutely no smell. People are amazed when they come visit. I'm laughing because I know that my babies are healthy and happy and will give lots and lots of eggs. Fermented feed is the best decision I've made since I decided to get chickens. I made a nest box (community style) out of one of the black crates that carry cokes or something. Six inches high and about 18" x 28" or so. I bought a steritite shelving and have 2 nests. They only use the shelf about 18" high. The bottom shelf is available but that's ok. Top shelf is storage. I thought about velcroing some fabric around it but they don't seem to bother about it. The black is dark enough I guess.
big_smile.png

When I inherited my grand parent's property, along with it came at least 60 aloe vera planters...some so big, they need to be moved with a dolly. I've kept them this long out of sentiment but have now decided most (all but one) must go, one way or another.

Can these plants be used for chicken feed, fermented or otherwise?

I have space in the barn to to store them and can then throw them at the pigs, a few a time, if they're not good for chickens.

Thanks for any advice.

Turk

Oh if I had to take any time at all straining my method would be to put the food in a container that would allow the juice to run out and replace the water in the ferment.

Back
Top Bottom