Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Oh, I realize I'm likely in the minority here. Not trying to convince anyone otherwise. There is something though that intuitively does not make sense to me to be eating or feeding acidic food ALL the time. It's not about the flavor of sour for the birds, but having SO much acid in their tract, all the time. I'm with you on going for good gut flora, but I'm not convinced that more is better in this case. And my "gut feeling" about it all could be just plain wrong. Soaked/sprouted I can understand, but highly acidic I don't. Perhaps I will change my tune one day, I've been known to do so a time or two before!

:)

:D Mine are cooped at night and completely free ranged during the day {no run}. I feel like they are definitely getting enough other stuff {snakes, frogs, mice, moles, voles, berries, grass, etc} that their gut isn't completely acidic. I am not sure there are any hard and fast "rules" less keeping them healthy. ;)

Just started fermenting feed for my 24 4 week old chicks and 4 month old ducks. I'm mixing game bird feed, whole oats and chicken scratch.
One week on it. The Red Broilers were almost two pounds at four weeks, which is pretty good since they grow slower. The Gunieas are really big, boy, I forgot how fast they grow! They've been flying since 3 weeks old! Really flying!

I have a question, I tried looking thru many pages but didn't find the answer. For Chicks how long do you leave the FF in their brooder?
New chicks should have access to feed any time they want it. Mine generally don't eat much until day three when the yolk reserve gets used up. Then they are hungry!

For growing out chicks as much as they'll clean up three times a day.

Xrocks are a special case. They can be fed 24/7 if you're going to harvest early. or 8-12 hrs off at night to prevent growth problems if you want to hold them longer (legs and heart).

I am fermenting Scratch and Peck non GMO organic broiler feed for my Cornish Crosses. They turned 8 weeks yesterday and the average weight is 9.875 lbs live! They eat 12 on 12 off, no deaths, no lameness, no illness. They wander all over the place and sleep in a fabric greenhouse. I live in Anchorage AK and do not heat them either. We will be butchering them a week from today. I am amazed at the size of them!

I am fermenting Scratch and Peck non GMO organic broiler feed for my Cornish Crosses. They turned 8 weeks yesterday and the average weight is 9.875 lbs live! They eat 12 on 12 off, no deaths, no lameness, no illness. They wander all over the place and sleep in a fabric greenhouse. I live in Anchorage AK and do not heat them either. We will be butchering them a week from today. I am amazed at the size of them!
That's the ticket!!!! Let them roam. They are so much better off than laying around and eating. Happier too.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom