Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Hi:) I have them in my dining room & I have a lid on one bucket & a feed sack over the other 2. I live in Northeastern PA. I use a wood stove to heat my entire house. Should I move them closer to the stove? How can I know if there is yeast in the air? Thank you

You live in PA, ya got yeast, no worries.
wink.png
gig.gif
If you have chlorinated water some folks have found it may take longer to ferment due to the chlorine killing the good bacteria/yeast that you need to get it started...they usually let the tap water gas off for 24 hours before using it to refresh or make FF. Just be patient, it should be fine at room temps unless that room is below 50* on a regular basis.

You live in PA, ya got yeast, no worries.
wink.png
gig.gif
If you have chlorinated water some folks have found it may take longer to ferment due to the chlorine killing the good bacteria/yeast that you need to get it started...they usually let the tap water gas off for 24 hours before using it to refresh or make FF. Just be patient, it should be fine at room temps unless that room is below 50* on a regular basis.

that does not quite work if, like me, you have chloramine, not chlorine, in the water. for that, you have to add something to the water. I use lemon juice (small amounts are enough).

Wouldn't the vinegar serve the same purpose...or so it seems to me.
idunno.gif

I do use ACV, in particular I always add a tsp or so to a glass of water. I do know that vitamin C quickly degrades chloramine, and ACV has some, but I do not know if acetic acid interacts or not. And of course all the dust and bacteria on the surface of the grains to be fermented will have some unknown neutralizing power for chloramine.

Perhaps I was inaccurate in my last post, I use lemon juice when I ferment krauts or kvass for example. I want a good ferment and I make sure that the chloramine is gone. Lemon is high in Vit. C.

I have well water. I will try leaving them uncovered & moving them closer to the stove. Still nothing today. It still smells good like fresh cut corn. I will keep you posted as to my outcome. Thank you

I do use ACV, in particular I always add a tsp or so to a glass of water. I do know that vitamin C quickly degrades chloramine, and ACV has some, but I do not know if acetic acid interacts or not. And of course all the dust and bacteria on the surface of the grains to be fermented will have some unknown neutralizing power for chloramine.

Perhaps I was inaccurate in my last post, I use lemon juice when I ferment krauts or kvass for example. I want a good ferment and I make sure that the chloramine is gone. Lemon is high in Vit. C.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom