Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I'm thinking, if it's attracting flies, it's not fully fermented but merely wet feed....I've never seen a fly on any of my FF in the past 3 yrs.  You did well by throwing that away.  If the FF is so soupy that a chick can "dip" her beak in it, it's way too soupy for even adult birds to want to eat it readily...that's like drinking food instead of eating food.  I'd suggest making it thicker, dryer. 

Your chickens are never too young to remove the dry food for two days....many have done it and it was a complete success in regards to feeding FF.  Contrary to what folks may believe, chickens are just not that fragile and just like any other creature, they will get hungry enough to eat whatever food is available eventually...they won't just sit there and starve, wasting away. 

Some have had success by sprinkling some dry feed on top of the FF.  Feeding FF works for millions of chickens out there all over the world and I can't imagine your chicks are any different.

I will try the sprinkling dry food on the top today. Thanks

I'm thinking, if it's attracting flies, it's not fully fermented but merely wet feed....I've never seen a fly on any of my FF in the past 3 yrs. You did well by throwing that away.
And apparently those little ants that come in the house do not like fermented feed either. I have never seen them crawling on the spoon I use to stir the FF up tho they are on other parts of the counter near the FF.
big_smile.png

I really gotta get my FF stuff together again, and my fodder systems. :p I'm getting my NPIP this month (presuming all is well and my chickens aren't secretly disease harboring monstrosities) and will be hatching out chicks throughout the year for folks as well as shipping hatching eggs... I wonder if FF does anything to fertility levels and hatching rates?

I really gotta get my FF stuff together again, and my fodder systems. :p I'm getting my NPIP this month (presuming all is well and my chickens aren't secretly disease harboring monstrosities) and will be hatching out chicks throughout the year for folks as well as shipping hatching eggs... I wonder if FF does anything to fertility levels and hatching rates?

More nutrition in the yolk, more nutrition in the chick! I'd say it would make a difference, though no one will be able to attribute it solely to the FF with all the variables out there.

How do you guys make the feed thicker? The chicks are almost drinking it. But you have to have water covering the feed, right? Am I wrong? I would just sprinkle dry food over it but I think that would take away some of the nutritional value.

Add additional feed/grain to absorb the excess water. No, you do NOT need it covered with water! Mix it to the consistency of oatmeal and if it gets too thick, add a little more water, too thin, add a little more feed/grain.

Back
Top Bottom