Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

So, thanks to this thread, I have made to to week 5 feeding FF to my 22 Cornish cross. Seems to be going well, they are making gains and hardly drinking water so they are nice and hydrated.

Last week, we put them out in the chicken tractor so they can munch on grass. They do have a shelter in the tractor as well. They seem to be soooo happy out there! Today, as I was feeding them, I heard all this sneezing.... What is that about? Are they just adjusting to being outside? We have had a couple good rains, but they were all smart enough to go inside the shelter.

I have reading it might be this respiratory disease, but they haven't mingled with any other birds. Yes, they are outside, but in a 10 x 12 tractor that has a roof over half of that. We move the tractor once a day. Besides the sneezing, and holding their mouth open for a second, they are acting totally fine.

Should I be worried or do I let it ride? This is my first ever attempt at these meaties....I want them to make it another 4 weeks!

Sneezing would not worry me mine always do that.I might wrong always thought it was from eating too fast.

So, thanks to this thread, I have made to to week 5 feeding FF to my 22 Cornish cross. Seems to be going well, they are making gains and hardly drinking water so they are nice and hydrated.

Last week, we put them out in the chicken tractor so they can munch on grass. They do have a shelter in the tractor as well. They seem to be soooo happy out there! Today, as I was feeding them, I heard all this sneezing.... What is that about? Are they just adjusting to being outside? We have had a couple good rains, but they were all smart enough to go inside the shelter.

I have reading it might be this respiratory disease, but they haven't mingled with any other birds. Yes, they are outside, but in a 10 x 12 tractor that has a roof over half of that. We move the tractor once a day. Besides the sneezing, and holding their mouth open for a second, they are acting totally fine.

Should I be worried or do I let it ride? This is my first ever attempt at these meaties....I want them to make it another 4 weeks!

When I worked at a chicken yard "centuries ago" when we got a new passle of peeps in, the first thing we did was to give them their shots. I don't remember exactly what they were, but they came in packages of 100 and were a one shot syringe. I'm sure you should ask your vet, or a chicken farmer who knows. That would be best, because they may have a few shots to sell/give you. Farmers who raise many birds would be an asset to you if you could ask them about the "sneezing" thing. I DO remember that baby chicks are susceptible to pneumonia and colds, which will kill them. I don't mean to alarm you, but you should really find out why they're doing that.

I don't remember a lot (from 1959), but I remember those immunity shots. Lift up the wing, poke needle into the breast area, shoot... done. No fuss, no muss.

I wouldn't worry about the sneezing you describe as long as there is no nasal discharge. It sounds to me like your guys are digging into the FF enthusiastically and getting it in their nostrils and then sneezing it out. Mine tend to do the same and have never had any respiratory problems from it:)

I wouldn't worry about the sneezing you describe as long as there is no nasal discharge. It sounds to me like your guys are digging into the FF enthusiastically and getting it in their nostrils and then sneezing it out. Mine tend to do the same and have never had any respiratory problems from it:)

That sounds very reasonable.

Thanks for your thoughts! I only hear it while they are eating and am not noticing any drainage. They all are eating and up moving around so I think we are safe for now. whew!!

New question - So my birds are almost 6 weeks now. Outside in the chicken tractor, but not eating a ton of grass. They love to be outside though! They FF has about 21% protein right now. at what point/weight of the birds should I switch to 18%? They are I am guessing about 3-4 pounds now. I am a bit behind in their weight gain, I wanted them to be 7 pounds by 8 weeks! Don't think that is going to happen.

Also - do any of you add molasses the last week? how much and how often?

Thanks for your thoughts! I only hear it while they are eating and am not noticing any drainage. They all are eating and up moving around so I think we are safe for now. whew!!

New question - So my birds are almost 6 weeks now. Outside in the chicken tractor, but not eating a ton of grass. They love to be outside though! They FF has about 21% protein right now. at what point/weight of the birds should I switch to 18%? They are I am guessing about 3-4 pounds now. I am a bit behind in their weight gain, I wanted them to be 7 pounds by 8 weeks! Don't think that is going to happen.

Also - do any of you add molasses the last week? how much and how often?

I don't think there is any need to switch from your 21% feed. I would keep them on it until they are ready to butcher. Switching them to a lower protein would only further delay things IMO. I'd be interested in hearing more about the molasses thing. I've never heard of adding it to chicken feed.

I made a free feed trough for my FF. It's a two liter with a strip cut out length-wise attached with machine screws to a couple of scrap pieces of furring. Voila! Virtually free feed trough! I fed the chickens in it today and they seemed to like it just fine. It's better than my good Pyrex pie plate (which I acidentally backed over in my car after I forgot it outside after a feeding- didn't break, btw- tough stuff, Pyrex). The broader feeders allow them to stand in the food, which this doesn't and low cost makes me happy!

I also tried one attached to a 2x4, but the chickens knocked it over. A lower center of gravity seems best since the bottle is so light and flimsy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom