Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Nope. If a hen is fed a certain way all their lives, though, they will often take on the flavor of that feed and also of the conditions in which they are kept...in other words, they will often taste strongly of corn and poop.  ;)    And that's pretty typical of chickens fed formulated feeds and kept in a coop and run situation...they even smell bad when wet, so when you dip them in hot water to pluck them you'll smell it then.  Then their poop and guts smell pretty bad too.  Then, when you cook them, you can smell that essence coming out of the meat too.....country folk just get used to that smell and taste if that's the way their folks always raised chickens, but others will call it a "gamey" flavor or smell.    Their eggs will have that sort of flavor too....sort of an off flavor of excess sulfur(that "eggy" smell and flavor), corn, barnyard. 

Usually a hen's eggs and meat will taste pretty much like how they are raised.  Commercial eggs taste of stale, blandness and excess eggy/sulfur.  Free range chicken's eggs will taste somewhat better, especially if foraged feeds is their primary nutrition and formulated feeds is only the supplement.  Free range chickens supplemented with FF are a whole next level of purity and cleanness of flavor, as the FF changes the corn/grain base of the feed to something else entirely, the poop no longer has that strong, excessively foul odor, the eggs no longer taste of anything but a sweet, nutty flavor with no sulfur smell or flavors, the meat has no barnyard smell or flavor when cooked and even the guts don't have a bad smell when you are eviscerating the bird. 

So...when I obtained retired hens from a cooped situation that had done nothing but walk on their own poop and eat formulated feed all their lives, that smell never really left their bodies, tainting their eggs and meat also.   I kept them for a 2-3 wks, feeding them FF to see if I could clean up that flavor but it didn't happen.  Even the two birds I kept that were still laying, after I had killed all the others, and fed on FF for weeks after that, were laying eggs that had that off flavor....those went to the dogs. 

That's why I always sort of give a chuckle when people talk about their "farm fresh eggs" they produced in their backyard coop and run situations, as they fed the same feeds the commercial birds eat, gave the same medicated feeds to the chicks, gave the same dewormers and antibiotics the commercial chickens get.  Basically, they paid a ton of money to produce the same thing they could have gotten for cheap at the store, only their eggs are a tad fresher. 

My chickens are free range and I have supplemented with FF since the day they were born. My (live) chickens have an almost sweet smell to them. I noticed when I pick them up I actually like to hold them close to my face. Their feathers are so soft on my face and they smell good. The same with my ducks...even after they've been noodling around an the mud...lol. everyone I tell I have chickens asks me "don't they stink?"
The answer is no and a big reason is because of the FF. The eggs don't have that sulfur taste/smell and the meat is delicious!

I have found the same thing. When I was young we raised chickens much like everyone else does....dry feed, water, coop and muddy, poopy run with seasonal or daily free range opportunities. When we would butcher the flock the smell of those wet, scalded chickens as we plucked them would pretty much turn you off eating them for some time...it would kind of linger in the back of your throat and you could smell the same faint smell as they were cooked later on, so eating home raised chicken was pretty much accepted to be a "gamey" prospect. The eggs were pretty sulfur tasting and would cause you to burp them up, just like a store bought egg.

I've had old Mennonite ladies exclaim over the taste of the eggs from my flock when I started adding ACV to the water on a daily basis, so the FF produces much the same results...I assume due to the acetic acid found there. Those old ladies remember how a farm egg used to taste and these were not it...these were better. My mother is 82 and she can't get over the difference either.....especially when she steps into the coop in the hottest part of summer and can't smell chicken poop, nor see any flies in the coop or on the poop in the yard.

There's definitely a difference...a big one.

I remember the first time a friend of mine that almost detests animals came into my chicken shed to see them when I first got them. She said, "Why doesn't it stink in here?"

I just replied that if you raise them in a healthy manner there shouldn't be any stink... :)

I was looking to see if I could find any evidence that hot pepper kept chickens warmer and tripped over this from 2001

dietary inclusion of capsaicin, the pungent component of peppers, were evaluated as a nonantibiotic alternative for reduction of Salmonella in broiler chickens through culture and morphologic assessment of cecal tissue.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1171-chilli-eating-chickens-repel-bacteria/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010820071840.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16404994

I feed fermented feed always to my new babies. I usually buy chick starter in bulk and prepare days before hand. I use a 10 gallon bucket. fill it 25% of the way up with the starter i also add some of the chick grit with it as well and corn that has been cracked/rolled. I pour water into the bucket until the feed is well covered by about 2 inches and stir until everything is wet. Usually i have to add more water due to air pockets being released (thus the stirring). i stir it about 3 times daily and leave it in a dark cool room of my house uncovered.
idunno.gif

Then i just continue to stir it every day until i can smell the sour sweet smell comming off of the bucket. Usually there is bubbles comming up from the bottom of the bucket, thats when i know the feed is ready and is fermenting. I always make sure that water level is atleast 2 inches above the feed. I just scoop the feed out and feed it to the babies. I have one of those old slotted spoons and it drains the excess water out.

If i have a smaller batch of baby chooks or get a random chook i usually make a mini batch of probiotic feed for them using an old pickle jar lol but i always leave the lid on when i use the pickle jar.

It must be tasty! Because my babies go wild for it, and the big ladies will start a cat fight for a nibble lol

I feed fermented feed always to my new babies. I usually buy chick starter in bulk and prepare days before hand. I use a 10 gallon bucket. fill it 25% of the way up with the starter i also add some of the chick grit with it as well and corn that has been cracked/rolled. I pour water into the bucket until the feed is well covered by about 2 inches and stir until everything is wet. Usually i have to add more water due to air pockets being released (thus the stirring). i stir it about 3 times daily and leave it in a dark cool room of my house uncovered.
idunno.gif

Then i just continue to stir it every day until i can smell the sour sweet smell comming off of the bucket. Usually there is bubbles comming up from the bottom of the bucket, thats when i know the feed is ready and is fermenting. I always make sure that water level is atleast 2 inches above the feed. I just scoop the feed out and feed it to the babies. I have one of those old slotted spoons and it drains the excess water out.

If i have a smaller batch of baby chooks or get a random chook i usually make a mini batch of probiotic feed for them using an old pickle jar lol but i always leave the lid on when i use the pickle jar.

It must be tasty! Because my babies go wild for it, and the big ladies will start a cat fight for a nibble lol

Why? Makes for some really sloppy feed.

idunno.gif

a lot of BYCers USED to do it that way.. but found a way that is easier, less messy and the wattles do not get coated and freeze from it. https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Why? Makes for some really sloppy feed.

a lot of BYCers USED to do it that way.. but found a way that is easier, less messy and the wattles do not get coated and freeze from it. https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Quoting both, if the grain feed is sufficient there is no slop, I agree with you on commercial pellets and crumbles, just oatmeal consistency on water, any more is just slop.... I add extra water to my feed now (feed mill mash heavy on the grains, lots of powder also though) just for the extra barrier. I brew beer and make sauerkraut, lots of sauerkraut, wouldn't skimp on the barrier on them. With a good grain mix feeding the birds the water runs right off, no slop, and I continually use the 'water' for the next batch.

Water runs right off if you have a good grain mix.

Back
Top Bottom