Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Black stiff poos are a good thing...you are going to see more of those with feeding FF. No worries...they aren't eating dirt as nutrition...they are looking for grit. Why not mix some small stones, grit into those pan fulls of dirt and see what they do?

It doesn't matter...whatever you want to give. If you are feeding whole grains to cut the feed bill or if you want them to have more whole grains, then half is fine. If you just are using it to have more variety and texture in the feed, then just add as you see fit. If you are feeding layers, you might want to add calcium to the mix if you notice that your half mix is yielding softer shells in your chickens.

It doesn't matter...whatever you want to give.  If you are feeding whole grains to cut the feed bill or if you want them to have more whole grains, then half is fine.  If you just are using it to have more variety and texture in the feed, then just add as you see fit.  If you are feeding layers, you might want to add calcium to the mix if you notice that your half mix is yielding softer shells in your chickens. 

Yea it would be nice to cut down the feed bill from the layers! And yea basically I bought it to have more variety in their diets.

Ive noticed in the FF bowls that feed them in, there is always a little of the oyster shell left at the bottom. I didn't now the layer feed even had oyster shell in it until then. When I was feeding dry food they would always eat everything up. It's not much they leave but there is a litte.

I have a bag of oyster shell in the garden shed. Should I still provide a little dish of the OS? Or would there be sufficient amounts in the Layer Feed?

Thanks Bekissed for all your knowledge you help out with.

Got our first ff egg today!!!!! My girls have been on ff since 8 weeks old and they're 19 weeks old now. I give then 50/50 crumbles/grains. It was 52 grams and perfect! The thing I thought was strange is our cockerel the same age followed her into the coop and settled into the nestbox one slot over and chatted with her the whole time. She is his favorite pullet lol.

yuckyuck.gif
Your story about the cockerel chatting up the pullet was Great!
Congratulations on your first FF egg!

Got our first ff egg today!!!!! My girls have been on ff since 8 weeks old and they're 19 weeks old now. I give then 50/50 crumbles/grains. It was 52 grams and perfect! The thing I thought was strange is our cockerel the same age followed her into the coop and settled into the nestbox one slot over and chatted with her the whole time. She is his favorite pullet lol.

Thanks guys, I never would've believed it if I hadn't seen it myself
gig.gif
Now I have to wait for a couple more eggs so the whole family can try them at once
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom