Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Bee this was from post #1
Quote Beekissed:

You know what? I don't know...just read it somewhere in all the mass of info I found on this subject. I'm not sure about any of it, really...and I don't much care about the hard facts on it, to be honest. It's sort of like using mother vinegar...many people want to know exactly what it does and how and they want studies on proof of it all before they will use it.

I don't need that...I just know the results I get when I use it and that is all good enough for me. I like the feed efficacy when using the FF, I know the probiotics are good for animals and humans alike and I know that wet feed is easier to digest, they waste less in flicking it out, and it cuts down on my feed bill. All these are pluses in my mind, so all the little details are inconsequential.

I guess I don't put much stock in scientific studies and facts that don't pan out in my own coop laboratory...but when they do, then I'm all for it. But a person has to actually TRY it to find out if it works....if you wait around to get all the facts and all the numbers lined up in your mind, you will never do it. I'm a doer...I take the first steps and find out if it's good. Then I tell folks about how good~or bad~that experiment was and what happened when I tried it. After that, folks can do what they want with that information but I'm pretty satisfied that I don't have to rely on percentages and studies because I got to see the results right in my own backyard and that's good enough for me.
smile.png

I guess you could say I'm an anecdotal person.
big_smile.png

What do you mean by 50%? Now I just put in a couple cup fulls of layer feed, oats, scratch & boss & mix it all together before putting it in the FF. Should I be using more layer pellets & less of the other things?

I mix my feeds when I buy them in a large metal trash can and I mix the whole grains and mash at a 1:1 ratio. You can play around with your feed mixes and see what your flock does better on...do they lay better with laying mash and whole grains, or do they lay better with more whole grains and less mash? It's all in preference and how your flock does and I can't tell you what to do with that...but I can tell you what I do with it. I've found mine do better on a mix of equal parts more than they do with less mash and more whole grains. This may not apply to your flock, so you might have to experiment for awhile and see.

In the end, that's what it really comes down to...just trying this or that to see what works best for you and your flock. I'm always on a learning curve with that, so I'm into trying anything that increases feed efficacy, lowers my expense, while still keeping chickens productive and in good condition.

I just read an article (posted on one of these threads) that said ff increased the absorption of nutrients by 12 percent. Which is great and probably accounts for why they are satisfied on smaller amounts of feed! It's all good
wee.gif

I've been doing the FF for over a week now, and everyday they eat less and less. So, I now have a question. They have eaten less the last two days, while still eating twice, once in the morning and right before they go in for the night. How long is the leftover good for? I prefer not to continue to fill the trough, I'd rather they finish what's in there, and then fill when it's empty again. Hopefully I figure out a set amount they're eating, and get the right amount in there.

If mine leave any, I don't feed them until it's gone. So...sometimes they get fed twice a day and sometimes once a day. Mine free range, so it's anybody's guess how much they are consuming out on pasture/range and so I think it determines how much they eat of the feed when they come back to the coop in the evening.

The only reason I am feeding this flock twice is because they are pretty malnourished and really need reconditioning right now....normally, with a healthy flock, I just feed once a day in the evening and whatever they left that night, they will clean up the next morning. By that next evening, the trough is picked clean.

You know what? I don't know...just read it somewhere in all the mass of info I found on this subject. I'm not sure about any of it, really...and I don't much care about the hard facts on it, to be honest. It's sort of like using mother vinegar...many people want to know exactly what it does and how and they want studies on proof of it all before they will use it.

I don't need that...I just know the results I get when I use it and that is all good enough for me. I like the feed efficacy when using the FF, I know the probiotics are good for animals and humans alike and I know that wet feed is easier to digest, they waste less in flicking it out, and it cuts down on my feed bill. All these are pluses in my mind, so all the little details are inconsequential.

I guess I don't put much stock in scientific studies and facts that don't pan out in my own coop laboratory...but when they do, then I'm all for it. But a person has to actually TRY it to find out if it works....if you wait around to get all the facts and all the numbers lined up in your mind, you will never do it. I'm a doer...I take the first steps and find out if it's good. Then I tell folks about how good~or bad~that experiment was and what happened when I tried it. After that, folks can do what they want with that information but I'm pretty satisfied that I don't have to rely on percentages and studies because I got to see the results right in my own backyard and that's good enough for me.
smile.png

I guess you could say I'm an anecdotal person.
big_smile.png
That ok I know I have to do my own foot work on some of it and I will. Just trying to learn like everyone else. Also sorry to here about your flock in the other thread, FF seems to be working for them. Thanks for your impute.

i have used the fermented feed for this round of meat birds. i know this has cut my feed bill by almost half. the birds are growing great. they look better than on regular non- fermented feed the chicken poop is firm and little smell. in fact they look so good i put my layers on it. i am not sure if it ups it by 12% or not. for my layers i have to see how this goes. they have been on it for 2 days. my egg production has dropped from 11 per day to 9 yesterday and today 6 this is out of 13 layers that are laying. with that being said, it could be a couple things. 1) change in diet 2) time of year 3) they have found a new spot to lay free ranging. 4) 32 new chicks being placed in a pen next to theirs. only time will tell. i am not pressed for eggs. i don't treat my birds like vending machines.

Last edited:
That's interesting, Bruce. I think someone else on the thread had reported an initial drop in egg production, so it will be interesting to see if that is temporary or if this is what will happen on FF. I can't imagine the same feed with the same nutrients~with fermentation being the only change~could result in a drop in laying.

Should be interesting to see if anyone shows an increase in laying.

My flock is showing a slow increase but their situation is not normal and it could merely be their improved nutrition and health.

Anyone else have a drop in laying after switching to FF?

i am making a plan for feeding now. i may want to try calf manna. however i want to wait and see.. that stuff is expensive. i will next week be adding boss to the fermented feed.. the norm for my chickens is when the protein drops the egg production drops. my feed mill only sells 16%. my chickens do better on 17-18%. i just have to play with it and see. it will take awhile to figure this out.

Bee this was from post #1
Quote Beekissed:

Being that we can't actually physically increase the ratio by just having bacteria colonies, I'm going to lean towards there is 12% more protein AVAILABLE. As in it's there already, but, there is only so much that we can absorb in the time it takes the food to travel through our system. From what I have gathered on this thread and reading other reference materials linked to, most people aim to feed as close to 19-21% crude protein as possible to meaties, but the majority of that passes out the other end undigested in regular feed. Basically wasted. But you need to feed that high percentage to make sure that the birds are absorbing the maximum possible amount. With the fermented feed the protein is easier to absorb so less of it passes through. This results in the birds needing to eat a smaller total volume to get the same benefit.

We humans have a similar situation with taking vitamins, the pills that you buy over the counter and take, take long enough to dissolve and get absorbed by our bodies that most of the good stuff actually just passes on through. That's why it is so much easier to just eat foods that naturally have those vitamins, they are easier to absorb and less is wasted. You can get more benefit from Eaton an orange than from taking the same dosage of Vitamin C chew-ables.

Back
Top Bottom