Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

You can trim the spurs and still show can't you? The reason for this (no removal) may be that someone might try to claim that their cock bird is a cockerel. It takes all types!

On my Buckeye, I only took the points off his spurs and on one of his legs he has two spurs! That was fun. On my Andalusian who had spurs almost 3 inches long, I took off about a half inch and just squared the things off so they couldn't cut any hens. You can still tell by the size of what is left that he is not a cockerel.

Generally, on a cockerel, the spurs are blunt. But when they've reached one year or almost one year, a little needle point will start to grow on them. You could take a file to that point if they are developing. I used a workshop file for mine... big enough to handle the job.
lol.png
However, a nail file would probably work for cockerel's developing spurs!

Last edited:
Well, we took all the meaties off fermented feed three days ago and they are finally gaining weight. Our last set of meat birds weighed between 2 1/2 and 3 lbs at 4 weeks of age on regular food. This set on fermented feed didn't even weigh a pound yet and we were still having to replace their straw bedding every day. So we switched them over to regular 20% feed and they are growing great now! They are still active and run around outside scratching and catching bugs and worms and trying to fly. And we aren't using any more feed now than we were when we were fermenting. Sorry but this didn't work for us at all. Definitely won't try it again.

That's too bad. Worked great for me and I think there have been a few others that have liked the results, but there were bound to be folks that didn't like the slower growth of the birds on the lower proteins and FF.

Well, we took all the meaties off fermented feed three days ago and they are finally gaining weight. Our last set of meat birds weighed between 2 1/2 and 3 lbs at 4 weeks of age on regular food. This set on fermented feed didn't even weigh a pound yet and we were still having to replace their straw bedding every day. So we switched them over to regular 20% feed and they are growing great now! They are still active and run around outside scratching and catching bugs and worms and trying to fly. And we aren't using any more feed now than we were when we were fermenting. Sorry but this didn't work for us at all. Definitely won't try it again.
erin,
i just went through the same thing you are doing now. my birds are not growing fast as well. i don't think it is a feed issue. i think it is a strain issue some hatcheries have slowed down the growth to minimize health issues. the batch of meat birds i did in the summer grew huge on 16%.and free range. this batch is growing slower than a sloth moves on a higher % feed. i took mine off of ferment for about 10 days. the difference for me was really bad poop and the birds got lazy after the 5-6 days the birds would not even leave the coop area.. i switched back to a 18 5% fermented feed. to give you an idea on how slow they are growing mine will be 8 weeks and weigh maybe 4.5 lbs.

Cornish Rock Cross Slow Growing Chicks
Hybrid breed for meat production. Ready to butcher at 11-13 weeks with a possible dressed weight of 4-5 pounds. These slow growing broilers have less leg problems than the fast growing strain.

No some cucumbers and green tomatoes that didn't make it through the first freeze.

But someone showed a link a few post after mine that I looked at and the ones with the orange poop are exactly what I have. It says its normal that they are shedding something in their intestines. New to me.

Okay...a few questions for those of you having problems:

-Did you put in ACV?
-What does it smell like after having fermented for a week or 2?
-Do you keep water at least 1/2" over the top of the mixture?
-Did you put in baker's yeast at any time?
-Have you ever observed powdery mold on top of it?
-Have you ever observed any kind of mold at all or a moldy smell?

(Inquiring minds want to know...
caf.gif
)

It could have been done by a very vigorous cockerel too. If you're concerned about her being in pain, she probably isn't but if you're concerned, blueberries are high in natural aspirin. Chop up a couple and give them to her. I keep them in my freezer for ready use.

Thank you so much. I will give her some.

Back
Top Bottom