Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I've read the thread, but I'm still unclear about something. Wayyyy back I read a post that said you couldn't do the FF inside the house because it let off some sort of gas that would kill you. Did I misunderstand or misread that? I'd like to bring my bucket inside the house because it isn't hot enough outside anymore to ferment. But I certainly don't want to kill or injure my family. Is it okay to ferment in my kitchen? Can I just bring my double bucket inside and find a place for it? Do I keep it uncovered inside or cover it?
Presently I have the setup like Bee outside in double buckets. But nothing is fermenting with the 45F nighttime temps and 53F daytime temps.

Mine is inside. I'm still kickin'! :)

I can TOTALLY relate :) I was away from them for 10 years, and often catch myself saying, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that!" Out loud, even.
hide.gif
Like, "Oh yeah, I forgot about poop on the porch steps!" "Oh yeah, I forgot about redistributing all my mulch!"

Talking out loud? That reminds me of laughing out loud.... I saw an egg sale display at the grocery store about a month ago. So out of curiosity I went over to check them out. I grabbed a carton, opened it, and when I saw the 12 identical perfectly shaped, cleaned white chalky eggs I started to laugh out loud. Not sure why but I thought it was funny. Looked around to see who was watching, then carried on with my day. It was a good day.

I thought if anyone could relate to this storey, they might be on this forum...

aoxa, mine does not bubble all the time, it has like cycles of more and less activity, but even if it is in a less active (bubbling) stage it is still fermenting and the chickens still love it.

Talking out loud? That reminds me of laughing out loud.... I saw an egg sale display at the grocery store about a month ago. So out of curiosity I went over to check them out. I grabbed a carton, opened it, and when I saw the 12 identical perfectly shaped, cleaned white chalky eggs I started to laugh out loud. Not sure why but I thought it was funny. Looked around to see who was watching, then carried on with my day. It was a good day.

I thought if anyone could relate to this storey, they might be on this forum...

LOL so, who was watching?

Fred just showed a picture on the OT thread to demonstrate recognizing the unique eggs each of four of his hens lay, and this was the perfect contrast!

Started my first FF batch a little over 24 hours ago. It's in the house near a heater. Is now in full percolation! Smells divine. No doubt it is in full fermentation. I have used two cups today and replaced one cup with new feed. Stirred in well. It looks and smells just about perfect and the proof is in the way my roo gobbled it up tonight. Singing to me with his beak full! There was also no doubt that my chook acted as if I'd given him ice cream and candy for dinner before bed. A very satisfying feeling in my heart right now.

I don't drain mine out right now either as I have a very fine mash that doesn't drain well like my previous mash and grain mix. I just mix my FF a little thicker and don't keep it all soupy like everyone else is doing. Mine sort of has the consistency of a thick mortar.

That's how mine is right now and I use a large spoon with holes in it to drain most of the fermented water out. Chickens like it fine.

Back
Top Bottom