Fermenting Purina Layena?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3kennedys, Oct 4, 2013.

1. 3kennedys

3kennedys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Edmond, OK
    I have tried fermenting Purina Layena and it always has such a horrid smell. I have fermented Purina Flockraiser and Purina chick crumbles in the past without it smelling so bad. Is it because there is more calcium in the Layena?

2. pollo disco

pollo disco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    Rio Rico, Az.
    I wouldn't think calcium would make such a smell present. But I'm no chemist. I took a wallyworld bag of feed and fermented it. It smelled like gym socks but the birds liked it alot. I might do it again when the weather cools off down here. What are you using for fermenting. I added braggs and RO/DI water to mine. I didn't keep the mash afterward though. The neighbors damnable dogs kept getting into it!

3. 3kennedys

3kennedys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Edmond, OK
    All I added to the feed was Braggs ACV and water. Its only been fermenting about 24 hours but it has that "gym socks" scent to it but the time before it had more of a vomit smell! I feed it to the chickens today and they ate every bit of it. I keep my feed in the original bag inside of a Rubbermaid container so I don't think anything could have contaminated the feed.

1 person likes this.
  4. pollo disco

Apr 2, 2013
    Rio Rico, Az.
    good one! I made one 5 gal. pail worth of it. And then it took about a week for 9 birds to eat it all. But the poo is not smelly and runny. And the birds are very vigorous. I do have a small amount of cracked corn mixed in the feed. And just recently added some black sunflower seeds and millet. I will let you know how it goes.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

[​IMG]Nine chickens ate 5 gal. of feed in a week? I have 14 birds who eat 2 c. of feed a day! I'm just spit ballin' here, but you might be feeding a tad overmuch feed.

6. RoseMarie1

RoseMarie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Hattiesburg,Ms.
    My Coop
    I don't like Layena sp? either and JUST NOW realizing it's purina! UGHHHH I SURE WISH she'd told me it was a purina product! I even asked and she told me Layena! UGHHHHH this annoys me to no end because I have read about purina beneful killing dogs and I have stopped using their products. We had been feeding out dog the beneiful until I found out about this.They had changed their recipe back in Sept of last year and thank goodness I hadn't gotten any of that yet so my dog was fine. My sisters died and she was using the beneiful :( So I stopped buying anything they make. Sure wish the lady would have told me. I'm just praying I didn't hurt my chickens in any way by feeding the mess to them.
    NOW I understand WHY the stuff did what it did!

I came on here when I saw the name to tell you MY experience with the mess and got a little side tracked.

OK I wasn't planning on going to the town which is like 18 plus miles from our house where I get my normal feed which is Wares Milling made in MS. So since I wasn't going to town I thought well I'll just buy some feed here local and so I bought the layena. When I fermented it the stuff went to mush! I told hubby they'd have to use a straw to eat it. I mean it had no consistency to it at all. I did notice the smell was also different. It also stuck to my scoop like it was peanut butter or molasses. I hated messing with it trying to get it off the scoop. To say I was NOT HAPPY with the mess is an under statement. So the other day I made the trip to the larger town and bought some Wares Milling feed from the feed store I go to. I was worried about mixing it but thought with the temps change it would be longer fermenting IF I started all over with new fermented food. So I had scooped out most of the mess as I call it anyway so there was very little of it left in there. So I added my new good food to it. It seems to be doing ok but can't wait until I can make 2-3 more additions to it to make sure all of that is gone!

Anyway this was my experience with it. Wont be buying anymore if I can help it that's for sure!

7. pollo disco

Apr 2, 2013
    Rio Rico, Az.
    I should've stated that I made it in a "homer" bucket from HD. But Most of that was the water. I would assume 2 cups a day per bird. Whatever that comes out to. I have 7 chickens and 2 Turkeys. Now they do eat alot more than the chix. But yes. I guess I was backwards with the 5 gallons of feed....lol. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by