Fermenting with added Brewer's Yeast

WisJudge

Hatching
Apr 26, 2020
I'm new to the chickens (42) after a 30 year hiatus (and added ducks as well, 19). We'll keep 8-10 layers and the rest will go into the freezer. We got the Hatchery Surprise from Cackle Hatchery, and did we get a surprise! I think we have over 20 chicken breeds, no clue what most are.

Has anyone used yeast, brewer's or baker's, and added sugar to your fermenting feed? The purpose being to boost the protein in the mash (I'll be feeding a mix of whatever whole grains are cheap at the feed store plus cracked corn).
I do have some experience with brewing, ethanol production and yeast propagation.
Yeast when allowed oxygen, sugar and nutrients produces more yeast and carbon dioxide. The conversion ratio, by weight, is roughly 50% yeast and 50% carbon dioxide. Yeast is roughly 50-55% complete protein (better than soy and has all the amino acids).
If my numbers are correct then 10# of sugar with the yeast yields 2.5# of protein, 5# of carbon dioxide, and then 2# of other nutrients, and a small ash content. Seems to be a simple way to boost protein with a cheap sugar source.
Thoughts/experiences?

I could potentially be wrong since you seem to be more knowledgeable about this information but lacto-fermentation actually stalls with the introduction of alcohol content, doesn't it? The fermentation process starts with yeast and then eventually produces the lacto-fermentation response. The introduction of brewers yeast will cause an alcohol response? I've been trying to read up on it so I'm not all that sure!

I could potentially be wrong since you seem to be more knowledgeable about this information but lacto-fermentation actually stalls with the introduction of alcohol content, doesn't it? The fermentation process starts with yeast and then eventually produces the lacto-fermentation response. The introduction of brewers yeast will cause an alcohol response? I've been trying to read up on it so I'm not all that sure!

lacto-fermentation actually stalls with the introduction of alcohol content, doesn't it?
Most probably (unless the bacteria can handle the alcohol content). Lactobacillus is the bacteria that causes lacto-fermentation.
Simply adding yeast will create competition between the bacteria and yeast for any available sugars. But adding brewers yeast does NOT create alcohol unless the environment is free of oxygen.

My post was referring to yeast reproduction, not lacto-fermenting.

Alcohol production and yeast growing are similar with a minor environmental change.

One is done with oxygen, the other in a non-oxygen environment.
Alcohol = non oxygen.
More yeast = oxygen.

Think of it this way: When fed a sugar source and oxygen yeast makes more yeast and CO2.
When fed a sugar source and kept from oxygen (think an airlock or a closed bucket) yeast pees alcohol and farts CO2. You'll never forget that!

All yeasts have some alcohol tolerance from a trace to upwards of 20% before the yeast starts to die off.

Brewers yeast, other than tasting better than bakers yeast in beer, handles alcohol up to 6-12% depending on the strain. Wine yeasts up to 20ish percent.

There is nothing magic about brewers yeast, other than it can handle a higher alcohol content than most bakers yeasts. The only way to make alcohol is the exclusion of oxygen in the process; anaerobic vs aerobic.

Next, there are little available sugars to ferment into alcohol from straight grains, mashed or otherwise. Starches need to be cooked in order to turn the starch into sugars. That's why there is a heating process in brewing and distillation. You could pitch as much brewers yeast into your wetted mash as you want and the alcohol content will be minor since the starches have not been sufficiently converted to sugars. Fruits are a different story as they have readily available sugar content: wine and cider.

What I have done with the waste sugar we had was add it to the whole grain mix plus yeast and not sealed the bucket tight: this produces no alcohol, but more yeast, hence a protein boost. Yeast stops multiplying when the sugar has been consumed by the yeast.
Ducks and chickens goes nuts over it.

What most people are doing is lacto-fermentation: breaking down the grains with naturally occurring bacteria. Think kimchi and kraut. This makes the grains more easily digestible and adds some nutritional value, how much I am not sure, not my area of knowledge.

My goal was cheap protein with the addition of sugar and yeast; brewers or bakers, and the protein content would be the same.

Very interesting! I only ever do lacto-fermentation so this topic is out of my realm.

Would feeding a large growth of yeast to chickens not also greatly increase their risk of sour crop, or other yeast overgrowth issues? Or does the yeast die off mostly before you feed it? Excuse me if I am not following along. Just curious as I have not heard of this before.

Yeast will die off when exposed to heat or exposed to an acidic environment. From what I just read the major cause of sour crop is digestive issues caused by use of antibiotics or excessive amounts of long fibrous grasses.

If you are feeding a large number of chickens and were near a brewery, I'd ask for the spent grains (roughly a pound for every six-pack) and the yeast dregs (leftover sludge from fermenting). All your protein needs should be covered and there are ample carbs and nutrients in the spent grains.

I have heard that during Prohibition revenuers would go to cattle auctions looking for the fattest beef. That was a good indication they were getting the highest available protein sources, distillery waste.

Hmm, wondering why I'm not brewing beer while raising livestock...perhaps the next venture!

Back
Top Bottom