Fermenting ??

davedavey

Songster
9 Years
Sep 13, 2013
washington state
I have been fermenting grain for a week now. The chickens only eat the fermented grains. When I mix in there crumbles into the fermenting process they don't seem to like it! They pluck the grain on the very top then just leave the rest. If I just do grains they eat it all!! Any suggestions on getting them to eat it with the crumbles in it?? Thanks.

Chickens will always prefer whole grain over crumbles. Some people grind everything up so the hens get the right proportions. I tend to feed commercial feed first then come back later and feed my grains. You just need to find what works best for you.

I agree with OrganicFarmWife, chickens preferring whole grain. I'm doing FF with chick starter (8wk olds) will convert to egg maker later on. There is less feed waste, less poop & it's firm & less stinky. Noticed they prefer it "drier" than wet, go crazy if I drop any on the ground. Mine love it from chop sticks...

Chickens will always prefer whole grain over crumbles. Some people grind everything up so the hens get the right proportions. I tend to feed commercial feed first then come back later and feed my grains. You just need to find what works best for you.
That's what I do with mine too. They get crumbles first and later in the day they get the fermented grain. They go nuts for it! I also offer it in a bowl and not a lot so they are hurrying to eat it and not picking through it as much.

We feed the crumbles first or they won't eat them as they go out and free range, If you want to ferment the crumbles I would recommend you ferment them separate from the grains cause they won't eat them with grains available. Ours will eat the crumbles wet but not very so quit fermenting them and did just the grains, You will have to decide what works best for you and your flock though, this is just my experience with my flock.

Ok went out this morning, and they ate it all. I just left it in the coup all night and between last night and early this morning they decided it was good. Wow, maybe they just needed to get used to it. So i put in more with the grower crumbles and scratch and now they seem to eat it all. Thanks for your replies. Dave

Back
Top Bottom