fertile 2 yr old peacock

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by giggleboxfarm, Jun 17, 2011.

1. giggleboxfarm

giggleboxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    Yay! We got a peahen and she started laying eggs, but our peacock is only 2... so he's not supposed to be mature enough to fertilize her eggs. We thought we'd throw them in the incubator anyway, preferring that to cracking them open to see if they were fertilized. That was several days ago and I haven't seen anything going on in them. So today I see she laid another and cracked it open, big ol bullseye right there. Rather wish I'd just stuck that in too, but now I know I've definately got something to incubate! Not that I really needed more [​IMG] I just received 5 baby peachicks.

2. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    wow i have never raised a pecock are they loud?

3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Peacocks make a noise similiar to the sound of a woman screaming. Kind of creeps you out when you hear it. My neighbors have some and it is creepy to hear at night.

4. giggleboxfarm

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    I haven't experienced that call. Donald honks, and another couple I couldn't explain. There are some 1 mile away and we can hear them occasionally. I've had a couple 'what the heck was that?' moments, but the not the screaming. Thats exactly what a friend of mine said about her neighbor's peacock. Actually one does kind of sounds like 'help' - sort of the same way a horse sounds like ''green river'. My guineas are louder than Donald and Darla

5. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! We have two 2 yr old peacocks and a yearling peahen..We've been having bad luck with peahens. We got 1 with the cocks but then that summer she died for no obvious reason. (That was last June) And then we bought 2 peahens in November, they were about 5-7 months old, and we lost one when we had lots of snow and ice for a few days. So now we're down to 1 peahen, about a year old now, and we were really hoping she'd start laying this year, but no sign of eggs yet. She probably won't..but it's nice to know that if she did we'd have a good chance of having fertile eggs too!

And we haven't experienced the "screaming" either..Ours do honk, and sometimes it sounds like they are saying "pea-COCK!"..lol, it's quite amusing.

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Glad that you're getting fertile eggs! After all the birds I've had it's still exciting to find the first laid egg.

7. giggleboxfarm

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    I know! I just got one - I can't decide if its actually white (which would be from the white leghorns my husband inadvertantly got a few months ago) or creamy from our american game hen that seems to have just got done being a mom.
    I'm going chicken crazy, and its working its way into other birds..

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Wow, that's great that he's doing his job already [​IMG] Our peacock just started screaming a couple of weeks ago. It scared me to death the first time he did it. It's so unnerving [​IMG]

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    they sound like an ostrich to me

10. giggleboxfarm

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    Well I'm silly. I used a different flashlight to candle, its stronger, and all but 1 of Darla's eggs do have veins. The one was the first she laid and had a blood ring. The lady we got her from has brought over eggs twice and was totally convinced that they were all fertile. Of the first 9, only 3 were actually fertile. About the same this time. I really think she has too many peacocks in the space. I want to expand what we have, and we just have the 2. Its similar in size to what she has 3 pairs in.
    I want to leave the rest of her eggs, see if she will go broody and hatch them herself. I'm not sure she would stay if we opened the door right now, but maybe being a mom would make her more at home. I hate having them cooped up and not free ranging with our chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by