Fertile chicken eggs - uneven development

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
My broody hen is sitting on 3 fertile eggs. I have candled it on day 10. Two were developing very well, but I was not sure about the third one, so left it under her. Today is day17 and I have candled it again. The same two are still on track, but number 3 looks like the development of an egg on day 11/12. I am sure I have seen movement - 3 times! Could this be possible? I have left it under her and would not candle it again untill the first two have hatched.

Was she given all three eggs at the same time or could the third egg have been laid in the nest after she started setting?

Are you sure she has had that egg the whole time? Once one of mine goes broody, all the other hens try to lay their eggs under her. I very often get eggs that are different stages from my broody hens.
It's also possible she didn't have that egg fully under her at first. Sometimes I find eggs that are supposed to be under a broody in the corner of the nesting box completely out from under her.

Another possibility is that the movement you saw was not a chick but stuff floating in the egg. In this case, the egg didn't make it. Did you see any veins? Was there any smell to it? If there was no smell, it should be fine to leave it until the other two hatch. If there was any smell, I would remove it immediately...

Yes she was given all the eggs at the same time and I have moved her to a secure place where the other hebs could not get to her nest.

Sorry for the delay in response, I am in Australia, so I have seen these responses only early this morning. Thanks, both of you for your answers.I have moved her on day one where the other hens can not get to her nest. She is very dedicated, only leaves the the nest once in 24 hours for no more than half an hour, but I suppose it is possible that she did not comepletely covered it all the time? There was no smell, no bloodring , no cracks, but I am not 100% sure about veins. To me it looked like there were veins, but not as clear as in the other two eggs. Should I remove it? It is day 18 today.

Back
Top Bottom