Fertile egg broken and peeping

I have put mine in a styrofoam cooler with a light bulb and my ducklings were able to finish hatching. I put a small container of water in it with a temperature gauge and kept it as close to 99 degrees as I could. It worked for me. Good luck. I would not peel any of the egg away as it might just be absorbing the blood and not actually injured. Any box with a irredescent light would work. Mine were only 40 watt bulbs that put off enough heat to do it.
We put a heat lamp over the box with a bowl of water and the temp says 100. Is that too high? The chick seems to peep more and move more when im holding it in my hand.

We put a heat lamp over the box with a bowl of water and the temp says 100. Is that too high? The chick seems to peep more and move more when im holding it in my hand.
I would think that would be fine. I am glad it is still alive. Good luck with this little one. If it does seem to be too high you can always move the heat lamp a little bit higher and that will reduce the temperature. I have hatched my duck eggs out at 100 though and they were alright.

I would think that would be fine. I am glad it is still alive. Good luck with this little one. If it does seem to be too high you can always move the heat lamp a little bit higher and that will reduce the temperature. I have hatched my duck eggs out at 100 though and they were alright.
Thank you! It actually hatched this morning. I posted on a separate post about care. It seems pretty hearty. Its peeping and i tried to get it to eat and drink but so far it wont. It seems to have imprinted on my daughter. It actually hatched in her hand this morning and peeps unhappily until she holds it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230430_085211_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430_085211_Gallery.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 1
Thank you! It actually hatched this morning. I posted on a separate post about care. It seems pretty hearty. Its peeping and i tried to get it to eat and drink but so far it wont. It seems to have imprinted on my daughter. It actually hatched in her hand this morning and peeps unhappily until she holds it.
Oh thank you so much for letting me know. What you can do now is to get it a mirror and a small stuffed or rubber animal to put in with it. They usually do not eat the first couple of days as they have just absorbed their egg sac. If you do not get it to realize it is a chick and not a human it will be unhappy as they are flock animals and need others of their own kind. Good luck with it, it sure is a cutie pie!!!

Oh thank you so much for letting me know. What you can do now is to get it a mirror and a small stuffed or rubber animal to put in with it. They usually do not eat the first couple of days as they have just absorbed their egg sac. If you do not get it to realize it is a chick and not a human it will be unhappy as they are flock animals and need others of their own kind. Good luck with it, it sure is a cutie pie!!!
Thank you so much for the tips! I will get a mirror and the stuffed animal tomorrow! I thought about trying to put her under one of our broody hens, but I'm realizing they can be a bit vicious. I might still try it, as I think if they accept her, she would have an easier time. But going to monitor closely if I try that. One of the other baby chicks was attacked this morning and so im trying to save her now.

Thank you so much for the tips! I will get a mirror and the stuffed animal tomorrow! I thought about trying to put her under one of our broody hens, but I'm realizing they can be a bit vicious. I might still try it, as I think if they accept her, she would have an easier time. But going to monitor closely if I try that. One of the other baby chicks was attacked this morning and so im trying to save her now.
Yes I would be sure to monitor her with any other hen. I have heard on here where even though they are broody they will sometimes not accept other chicks. Good Luck with her. You have saved her this far and I would hate to see a Broody Hen harm her. You are most welcome for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom