Fertile egg broken and peeping

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
Im not sure exactly how old the chick is. The egg was damaged hours ago after a hen left it on ground. I think it is injured as i see some blood. It is peeping loudly and moving around,and breathing fast.. Im holding it to keep it warm. Have no idea what to do. I thought about helping it hatch but have read not to do that plus it might be too young to hatch.

Attachments

• 20230429_172932.jpg
    20230429_172932.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 12
Im not sure exactly how old the chick is. The egg was damaged hours ago after a hen left it on ground. I think it is injured as i see some blood. It is peeping loudly and moving around,and breathing fast.. Im holding it to keep it warm. Have no idea what to do. I thought about helping it hatch but have read not to do that plus it might be too young to hatch.
Do you have an incubator you can set up, to keep the peep warm, & moist?

I have put mine in a styrofoam cooler with a light bulb and my ducklings were able to finish hatching. I put a small container of water in it with a temperature gauge and kept it as close to 99 degrees as I could. It worked for me. Good luck. I would not peel any of the egg away as it might just be absorbing the blood and not actually injured. Any box with a irredescent light would work. Mine were only 40 watt bulbs that put off enough heat to do it.

I have put mine in a styrofoam cooler with a light bulb and my ducklings were able to finish hatching. I put a small container of water in it with a temperature gauge and kept it as close to 99 degrees as I could. It worked for me. Good luck. I would not peel any of the egg away as it might just be absorbing the blood and not actually injured. Any box with a irredescent light would work. Mine were only 40 watt bulbs that put off enough heat to do it.
Ok thank you ill get my heat lamp and some water. Just holding it now. I dont want to put it down so it wont get cold. My husband should be here soon and he can set it up while i hold it.

People have also used heating pads set on the low heating with a cover on them and a small towel over it, I would not put the towel directly on the egg since it is broken but use something to support it .

Back
Top Bottom