fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by epona4, Mar 4, 2010.

1. epona4

epona4 Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    When cracking open a goose egg, can you tell if it was fertile the same was you do a chicken egg? Is there a "bullseye?"

My Pilgrim girl started laying this week. 6 eggs. Not ready for her to try to raise a clutch but I am wondering if the eggs are even fertile.

Also, what have you found to be the best use for goose eggs? Should I save them for baked goods or do they make nice omelets?

2. newduckie

newduckie Songster

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    I am no expert but I think they do have the bullseye. Mine did anyway..

3. Friend2Fowl

Friend2Fowl Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    She is laying? That's great! You should be able to see a bullseye if the egg is fertile, or you could just stick them in the incubator and see what happens [​IMG]
    I have no idea how you would supplement a goose egg for chicken eggs in baking, though I'm sure many people do. It would have to be a recipe that calls for a LOT of eggs, like a quiche [​IMG]

You could always send them to me, as a test hatch [​IMG] I would take good care of them [​IMG]

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I read somewhere that 1 goose egg is the equivilant of 3 chicken eggs.

Laurie

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I think that was me and what I actually wote was that MY goose egg weighed just over 5 ounces and the standard Large chicken egg was 2 ounces so I would sub 1 goose egg+1oz water to replace 3 chicken eggs (Worked for me)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: