Fertile? Or not? Or?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JacksonPearce, Jan 23, 2018.

1. JacksonPearce

JacksonPearce Songster

Aug 17, 2016
    I have one rooster that, sadly, I'll need to sell or give away since he's starting to crow. I'm hoping to set a few of his eggs before he goes, and was excited to see him gettin' it on with my Isbar about two weeks ago (and regularly since, romantics that they are). I checked one of her eggs a few says after that first date for fertility, and it seemed to be good to go...but the eggs I've set since have failed to develop. I went ahead and opened up the eggs from the 14th and 15th of January, since they weren't even veining yet, and they did appear to have quit (very) early on, though I also cracked one she laid today and it didn't appear fertile. Am I missing something? Do my chickens not know how this whole "mating" thing works? Should I get them one of those mortifying sex education books? :-D

2. feedman77

feedman77 Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    If your roos is just starting to crow he is young I take it.

he is feeling his oats just not mature yet.

Not sure where you are at but in winter roos are less fertile unless they get 14 to 16 hours of light.

But if you think it would help get a good pic book explaining the process for them.

JacksonPearce likes this.
  3. JacksonPearce

JacksonPearce Songster

Aug 17, 2016
    Correct, he is quite young! This is good to know. I hope I can hold off giving him away until I have a few eggs to set! But maybe I'll go out and give them all a firm "birds and the bees" talk anyway. :)

4. elizabethu42

elizabethu42 Chirping

Jun 28, 2016
    Canada
    Often roos can't fertilize hens if they are younger than 6 months. Hope that helps. :)

Feathers4Fun2 likes this.
  5. Latestarter

Latestarter Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2014
    North East Texas
    I think you'd be better off to purchase some fertile eggs from nearby as that would probably prove cheaper than a $$fine for having a roo if you're not supposed to have one. Double down on that if you're not on the best terms with neighbors. Young roos are notorious for shooting "blanks" until they are older. Good luck whatever you do.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    What did you see when you opened the eggs that indicated they had started to develop but then quit? Have you cracked eggs and seen good blastoderm? Have you looked at photos so you know what you are looking for?

Next question: What are you using for an incubator? Fan or no fan? What are you using for a temperature? Where are you measuring the temperature? Have you calibrated your thermometers, and if so, how did you calibrate?

sourland likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm with lazy gardener - check your thermometer and hygrometer to make sure they are reading properly.

JacksonPearce likes this.
  8. JacksonPearce

JacksonPearce Songster

Aug 17, 2016
    This is what I'm seeing in the eggs I crack after a few days and no veining. They look like they're fertile, to me (that bullseye), but nothing ever happens! Am I misreading?

Attached Files:

9. fil76

fil76 Chirping

Oct 14, 2017
    manchester england
    looks fertile to me I think I can see a circle with a dot in it
    cheers fil

10. JacksonPearce

JacksonPearce Songster

Aug 17, 2016
    Any other thoughts? It looks fertile to me too-- but this one was in the incubator for about six days and didn't do a thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: