Fertile Rooster?

Usually at 1 year of age, but some became fertile at 2 years. Yes, it's quite a long time and I also can't wait for my chickens to have chicks, but patience is the key. Although the roo will be interested in mating at 5 months old, the eggs will not be fertilized.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I have chicks due to hatch this week and the rooster is 7 months old
woot.gif

I have RIR's and the roo became fertile before the hens started laying,and that was about 20 weeks, but he loves them too much now, once i get over this drated flu i am gonna have to move him to a spot all alone to give my ladies a rest, and regrow the feathers on their backs,

Owned by 12 RIR.1 Pitt bull, 1 poodle mix,1 yorkie,1great Dane ,1 crabby gray cat and most important 1 adorable DH

well mine is 9 years old and and there are two laying hens. Spring is approaching so is there any chance of them having chicks?

A nine year old roo? Wow, lucky bird, lol. If he mates he could probably still get the job done.
smile.png
It kinda depends on the rooster, some roosters are 5 months some are a year. Never have I heard it taking 2 years though.
roll.png

Roosters generally mature at the same rate as the pullets of the same breed. It's generally not "are they producing sperm" more "are they able to successfully mate the pullet"

It takes practice for a roo to complete the job, they are often awkward and fall off a lot at first.

Back
Top Bottom