fertility and delayed egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roxannemc, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    My lavender orp hens have been without a LO roo since early winter.Lately a stray roo or 2 are coming in to visit them .They are not laying at this time due to some really cold weather.
    I am putting a new LO roo in with them very soon My questiion is if they do lay any eggs within a month of the stray roos being in with them should i expect mixes chicks or if i get the LO roo in and they lay in say 2 weeks of just him in there Will i get pure eggs?Confused on this Will the stray roos sperm stay to fertilize an egg that will begin to be formed weeks from now?[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A hen can retain high fertility for up to 2 weeks after being bred, moderate fertility up to 3 weeks, and occasional fertility even longer than that.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, the hen will be fertile for weeks after the last visit of the wild roosters. For pure eggs, it's usually recommended to separate the hens from the undesirable roos for at least three weeks.

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thanks.I wasnt sure it held true if she was mated but not laying at all. after the mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by