fertility

asmfshr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
Paulden
Can mites have an effect on fertility? First batch 1 chick,I think i drowned them.Second batch, had 1 hatch right on time,that was yesterday. Im still waiting for No. 2 . Pretty sure i did everything correct,humidity,temp all went well . Hoping for late bloomers Herb

A big Texas-sized
welcome-byc.gif

28464_bunchahorses.jpg

frow.gif

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!
frow.gif

Can mites have an effect on fertility

Yes they can, in two ways. They sap the energy of the parents, so the eggs they produce are not as full of nutrients as they should be and the sperm annd ova not as strong and healthy as they could be. They also congregate in the vent areas because of the moisture. This can irritate the rooster and hen and interfere with the actual ferilization act.

Thx Ridge, I must of counted wrong got chicks coming out of the walls !!! Not a great % yet but, better than expected. Nuked the mites last week . Chickens laying better already,feathers coming back,big smiles on their faces. Got a ? for ya . If I breed a red star to a red star its pretty much a motley crew of chicks right?
smile.png

Red Star to Red Star does not tell you what the parents were, other than the mother had silver and the father had gold. There are a whole lot of breeds that have silver and a whole lot of breeds that have gold. Then you have all the other genes that can get involved, sometimes in strange ways. Plus all the possible patterns.

What you would probably get is various shades of red, some dark and some light, plus some chickens that looked sort of white, but probably more of an off-white. And you could get these different shades in various patterns, depending on what breeds and patterns the original parents were. I don't know that I would call them a motley crew, but cetainly they could have a lot of variety. Or if the parents had similar patterns, you might get a few various shades but not many and not a lot of pattern variation, so not really a lot of variety.

Back
Top Bottom