Fertilized Eggs

DDflamingo

Chirping
May 2, 2016
Hi. My roo was killed Wednesday afternoon. Would my girls still be laying fertilized eggs??
I would love to try and incubate if there is a chance they could still be laying fertilized eggs from him..
Thoughts?

This is fascinating!! I am very excited that I may still be able to have babies from my beautiful boy!!

Attachments

• 20191030_091745.jpg
    20191030_091745.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 5
This is fascinating!! I am very excited that I may still be able to have babies from my beautiful boy!!
I think the fascinating thing about the information @sourland provided is an evolutionary adaptation. Chickens can retain viable sperm at body temperature longer than most any other species. This allows the rooster in nature to give himself up to save the flock. The hens can then go off to lay his eggs and make new roosters.

The animal who killed your rooster will come again unless you do something to stop it.
Yes, we've had chickens for several yrs, and have been relatively fortunate with having minimal casualties. We are thinking of how we can handle this better.
I had a 2 mo old chick missing from that evening also. However, that is a rock star now. He managed to survive all night by himself out of the coop.
I dont let them out every day, and especially after an event like this. Ugh

Back
Top Bottom