lian_kugler6

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
Hey everyone,
I have one Rhode Island Red hen and two Crévecœurs one of which is a rooster (they are separated from my other hens as of now). My RIR hen just started laying eggs at about 6 months old all of them are the same age btw. My parents have told me we canNOT have anymore chicks (I wish), so I cannot let the rooster fertilize any of the hens eggs. The question is: how long will a fertilized egg be edible before a baby chick starts to form?
I do not want to eat any baby chicks or even let them form at all, so when should I be wary if one is starting to be born? Thank you in advance!

I have one Rhode Island Red hen and two Crévecœurs one of which is a rooster (they are separated from my other hens as of now). My RIR hen just started laying eggs at about 6 months old all of them are the same age btw. My parents have told me we canNOT have anymore chicks (I wish), so I cannot let the rooster fertilize any of the hens eggs. The question is: how long will a fertilized egg be edible before a baby chick starts to form?
I do not want to eat any baby chicks or even let them form at all, so when should I be wary if one is starting to be born? Thank you in advance!
If you collect all the eggs at least one time each day, and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them, you will NEVER find a baby chick in an egg.

Even when the egg is fertilized, a chick does not start to develop unless the egg is kept warm (in an incubator or under a broody hen.)

All of our eggs are fertilized and we leave ours on the counter up to two weeks (They usually are eaten within a week) and we have never seen development. Our house is usually about 70 degrees in the fall/winter. All the folks we provide eggs for do the same - no one has had any issues

Back
Top Bottom