Fertilized Eggs

Nicci0110

Songster
Mar 15, 2023
Senatobia, MS
I went into owning chickens with a hardcore NO ROOSTER idea. But then a little chicken stole my heart and turned into a rooster. Out of my 6 I only wound up with one rooster so I really want to keep him. He is so sweet and really smart even at only 11 weeks old. He is a Rhode Island Red. He is Henny Penny, I kept his name even though she is actually a he LOL. Anyways, when my hens start to lay eggs if I collect and refrigerate daily will I notice a difference when eating them? Do I need to do something else? I really worry about finding him a home because I do not want anyone eating him or abusing him. My husband keeps telling me the eggs will all have blood in them. Is this true? He may just be telling this to convince me to get rid of Henny Penny which I do not want to do at all. I have agreed to rehome him ONLY if he becomes aggressive or mean and I make a point to hold him daily and hand feed him. So far so good. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful on the egg situation. I went into this to have a small hobby and benefit from the eggs. Now my chickens are my whole heart and more my pets than a hobby.

You will not notice any difference.
If there ever is blood in them, it is because a blood vessel broke when she was laying it, and both hens with and without a rooster 'can' get some.
I have never had any though, so it isn't very common, and even then you can still eat them.
But a fertile egg tastes and looks just like any other egg, as long as you are not keeping them over 25C or there abouts.
Or if you have a hen go broody, make sure you collect them twice a day from under her.

You will not notice any difference.
If there ever is blood in them, it is because a blood vessel broke when she was laying it, and both hens with and without a rooster 'can' get some.
I have never had any though, so it isn't very common, and even then you can still eat them.
But a fertile egg tastes and looks just like any other egg, as long as you are not keeping them over 25C or there abouts.
Or if you have a hen go broody, make sure you collect them twice a day from under her.
Thank you so much! This is such a relief to me!

There are many different opinions on the best ways to raise a nice mannered rooster.
What I do, and many others, is to be very hands off about it, keeping him a bit skittish, which translates in to respect.
Walk though him, not around him, don't handle him apart from when needed.
But there are other people, who cuddle them, and they still grow up very nice. I think the percentage of nice ones are lower, though.
It all depends on the individual cockerel.
But however you raise him, be ready to get rid of him if he starts getting nasty.
Here hoping he will be a very nice rooster!

Back
Top Bottom