Fertilized Eggs

I was worried without some daily attention he would become mean. Is this untrue?
It honestly depends on the individual rooster, I can't put a blanket statement out.
but 'coddled' cockerels *tend* to become aggressive when hormones come in since in the chicken world, the top birds get preferred treatment. He'll see you as an equal or something to dominate by flogging. You don't want to be mean but don't let him come up to and pretty much ignore him, walk right through him, if he doesn't move he gets a gentle boot.
Treat him as livestock and your hens as pets.

I was worried without some daily attention he would become mean. Is this untrue?
I have about 40 RIR hens with 7 roosters. The roosters are not mean to me but are mean to each other. I think it is genetics in some are just born to be mean. With only one rooster I don't think you need to worry about him being mean as long as he knows who is boss. He has no need to have a pecking order being he has no competition as long as he doesn't see you as competition for the hens.

It honestly depends on the individual rooster, I can't put a blanket statement out.
but 'coddled' cockerels *tend* to become aggressive when hormones come in since in the chicken world, the top birds get preferred treatment. He'll see you as an equal or something to dominate by flogging. You don't want to be mean but don't let him come up to and pretty much ignore him, walk right through him, if he doesn't move he gets a gentle boot.
Treat him as livestock and your hens as pets.
He definitely gets the boot when needed! Lol

I have about 40 RIR hens with 7 roosters. The roosters are not mean to me but are mean to each other. I think it is genetics in some are just born to be mean. With only one rooster I don't think you need to worry about him being mean as long as he knows who is boss. He has no need to have a pecking order being he has no competition as long as he doesn't see you as competition for the hens.
Good. I just cannot imagine him being mean. I keep telling my husband he will protect the ladies but idk if he will even do that honestly. Maybe he'll change when he matures

There are many different opinions on the best ways to raise a nice mannered rooster.
What I do, and many others, is to be very hands off about it, keeping him a bit skittish, which translates in to respect.
Walk though him, not around him, don't handle him apart from when needed.
But there are other people, who cuddle them, and they still grow up very nice. I think the percentage of nice ones are lower, though.
It all depends on the individual cockerel.
But however you raise him, be ready to get rid of him if he starts getting nasty.
Here hoping he will be a very nice rooster!
I am for sure ok with getting rid of him if he turns mean towards my ladies or my family. So far I have a hen that is the bully. I am not so sure about her. I was told if I get rid of her, another will just turn into the bully so for now they all stay unless it gets ugly

I was told if I get rid of her, another will just turn into the bully so for now they all stay unless it gets ugly
Another hen will move in to top spot, but that doesn't mean she will be a bully about it.
My top hens are the nicest, allowing the young pullets to feed next to the sometimes.
If you want to, you could always remove her for a bit, and see what happen.
If all the rest get on happily together, then it would be time to sell or eat her.
Or just the timeout from the flock might be enough to be nicer when you reintroduce her.
But as long as no damage is being done, just carrying on how you are is good too!

Good. I just cannot imagine him being mean. I keep telling my husband he will protect the ladies but idk if he will even do that honestly. Maybe he'll change when he matures
He will protect the ladies. When on of mine is short tempered with me it is because one of his ladies is in my lap. Every so often those rooters get the water cannon used on them when being ugly. They are quick to surrender to the Boss. When one of the RIR roosters tries to bunk in the Delaware coop and I see him I turnout my light and catch him. He hollers like he's been stuck with a filet knife. He still never learns.

Back
Top Bottom