Fertilized Eggs?

cdbailey59

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
I am going to ask what to some may be a dumb question, but I am just a beginner, so here is my question. I see a lot of ads where people want to buy fertilized eggs or are selling fertilized eggs. How do you know if the eggs are fertilized? Are they fertilized before they are laid, or after? If before, how long does the hen stay fertil? Does the rooster have to get with her every time she lays an egg?

i am no expert but here goes. after a roo breeds a hen she should start laying fertile eggs a few days after. then she will continue to lay fertile eggs for up to week, if the roo doesnt mate with her again, but as long as the roo stays inwith the hens she should lay a fertile as long as he is with them. you can store ferile eggs up to 10 days for them to hatch when incubated. i am sure someone will explain it better than i did.

Quote:
Generally speaking, if a rooster is able to get your hens, then they're fertilized. More specifically, there is a bulls-eye on a fertilized egg. Here's a link to a pretty good illustration of that https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008. I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's about two weeks that a hen will stay fertilized after mating. They have a special sac or organ for sperm storage and do not have to be mated for each egg. That said, a young rooster will likely mate a hen many more times than eggs she produces. Get yourself a rooster, you'll see.

Last edited:
They can stay fertile from 1 encounter(no whut I mean?) with a roo for 3 weeks, & rarely, but possible, 1 month. A turkey, longer than that.
Chicken eggs get fertilized before they are laid. I think only fish fertilize after laying eggs.
there is no such thing as a dumb question if something is learned from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey thanks for your answer as i was also about to ask thsi same question and was worried from where to start so thanks alot for sharing this information....
this can now make my work easy and simple and has enhanced my knwoeldge too

Back
Top Bottom