Fertilizing a Lawn with Chicken Safety in Mind

SueBaby

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Oceanside, CA
It's getting to be about the time that we'll need to fertilize our lawn. The girls are on it daily in the afternoon & evening. This will be our first time fertilizing now that we have chickens.

I called a local farm supply store and they recommended a Dr. Earth product. I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with this? Our lawn is about 10,000 square feet, so we need to be efficient in terms of effort and price. At a minimum, The Dr. Earth stuff would cost us $80. Yikes.

Yes, the girls do poop all over, but they tend to favor some parts of the lawn over others, so what they give is not going to be enough. We are using the deep litter method in their coop/run so we won't have available composted manure until the spring. And how would be spread that over 10,000 square feet anyway? My husband says any kind of compost will clog up our drop spreader.

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Last edited:
I put Scotts regular lawn fertilizer(NOT weed and feed) with my drop spreader. I also have a small orange grove that I regularly put citrus fertilizer. My chickens peck all over the yard and they especially dig and peck under the citrus trees. It seems they go after the trees where there is fertilizer and so far they have shown no ill effects. I fertilize my lawn about every two months and then water in in and after that the chickens go on it and I have not had any problems.

I called a local farm supply store and they recommended a Dr. Earth product

The Dr. Earth stuff would cost us $80. Yikes

Dr Earth is a high end "organic" product sold only in overpriced specialty stores.

When you ignore the sales hype and the "feel good" organic rhetoric, and ONLY look at the chemical composition, it's STILL just Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium

The plants won't know the difference in that and the cheapest generic fertlizer from another store.

Chemically they have to be the same to work, and that is what really matters.

3 40 lb bags will cover your 10,000 sq ft, and you should be able to do it for a lot less then $80, even in CA​

Back
Top Bottom