Few questions about a broody hen

korn19bread

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
I have a few questions together-
1: I now have a silkie sitting on 2-3 eggs, normally she lays and goes on, does this mean they're fertile?
2: they are outside and the only insulation they have is a bunch of stray in the house, should I leave her or put her in the barn in the brooder? Maybe w a heat lamp?
3: I have 3 austerlorps in my brooder in my barn, only straw, no walls- just wire, should I keep the lamp on them? 7-8 weeks old..
Thanks in advance!

Just because your silkie has gone broody doesn't mean the eggs are fertile, you will have to candle them in a week or so to see if blood vessels are forming, I'm assuming you have a rooster.

I wouldn't put a heat lamp on her, just make sure she's not in a drafty or damp place and she's separate in case they hatch.

At eight weeks you can begin to wean your chicks off of heat, continue raising the light until it equals the temperature of outdoors or until you see they aren't sitting under it, you should be able to get rid of it in the next two weeks or so, although I don't know what your climate is.

I'm in cincinnati so it's getting in the 30s at night, that's why I was worried about the silkie as well, I have a rooster but he is white bresse.. And I have seen him jump on her.. She is also in one of the 3 nest boxes all alone.. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom