Few questions about getting started with chicks

ChickyNutt

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Hello :)im new and i have a few questions...

Ok i would love to start raising chicks but i dont know what i need to get to get started. i understand i need a incubator but what type is the best? I plan on haveing about 5 to 15 hens and 1 rooster. I have started getting my chicken house and run built but thats all. So what breeds are the best to get that produce high quality eggs? I want to get eggs sent to me because ive aways wanted to try it but im not sure who to buy from either so i would love love love it if anyone here can help me out with some information:D

are you going to start with hens and a roo, then get eggs to hatch? or want eggs to hatch ? what you need for hatching the eggs out are a incubator ( with turner and fan) pref) , temp/humidty guage, eggs and 21 days of setting on your hands waiting for them to hatch. lol i have both the LG's 9200 w/fan and turners and Hova's 1600n w/fan and turner and homemade one too

I plan on getting eggs to hatch but im not sure where to get them from.
And thanks for replying so fast:)

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
yippiechickie.gif

No matter if you want to start with eggs or chicks -- this is the site that will help you!!!

If you can't decide what kind of chickens to get, you need to go to this link: www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Everything
you need to know about more than 60 breeds. The easy way to start is with day old chicks. The more challenging route is with eggs!! Be sure to read all the posts in this section of the Index.

Good Luck!!

Cindy

oh and
welcome-byc.gif
pm me with address and i will send you some black australops eggs once you get a bator if you will pay shipping and do this for someone down the road when they start laying. they lay big light brown eggs, and are very friendly birds

Quote:
That would be awesome thanks
big_smile.png
Im working on getting the things together now for a MissPrissy bator so hopefuly i can get all the supplies and put it together within the next 3 to 4 days.

Last edited:
Also another question has anyone ever made a incubator with a aquarium and if so how does it work?

Ok thanks im going to try the coolier type and see if i can get it all working and then ill pm you with my address n stuff

Back
Top Bottom