few questions

nfrost

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
1) we bought 5 a month ago but I think she sexes one wrong and I think we have 3 males to 2 females is that a bad ratio cause I know ot would be with chickens pw ducks?

2) when does the males neck and head turn blue atm they are about 4 months old and they have a green tint to there neck feathers.

3) not gonna free range for a few more months, but should I do it before the snow falls are they more opt to get lost if I let them free range this fall , or everything being white and snowy not gonna screw them up there first time..

4) if there 4 months old can they have chicken laying feed, is it bad for them ot is it fine?

And i just witnessed something really odd! i was out there feeding them and they were running around the female was dust bathing, and they are no older tahn 3 months tops, the male ( i think ) grabs her by her neck feathers and goes to mate with her, never heard of babies mating and i know it was mating not playing or being aggresive, he is sorta agressive toward the other male, is this a sign of one that would be an aggressive when it gets older. and why is he mating so young?

I have some sibling peachicks, two males one female, and the males sometimes play fight flapping around and jumping at each other and kicking. They are just playing though and practicing for when they are adults. Yes generally it is better to have more peahens then peacocks especially with free-ranging because you don't want two males or one male to get all the females and then the lonely one leave your yard to go search for a mate and a new home without competition. As for the matting thing, I think they are just practicing. My four month old runs up to my feet (I wear flip flops) and displays at them then jumps onto my foot and pecks at my foot trying to hold on to me. I sort of wonder if he is trying to mate with my foot because when peafowl mate the male grabs onto the peahen's neck.

Back
Top Bottom