FF - stretching my food cost

BiggJohnn

Songster
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Davie Florida (Ft> Lauderdale FL)
So I’ve been fermenting my chickens feed for the last couple months. I was interested in trying to save some money on my feed bill. I also started growing sunflower seed greens. Fodder I guess. Well it seems that with a 5gal bucket of FF it lasts me a week with 15 hens. I feed them about 6 -8 cups of FF twice day & about a handful or 2 of the sunflower fodder with it. I do cut the crumbles with cracked corn 2 / 1 .
So far so good!! My egg production seems fine. I’m getting about 6 - 7 eggs a day. Some days 10. I also try to feed each hen a few live mealworms each day. The hens seem to have layers off the FF the last couple days, I’ve noticed @ 4 when I go out to check on them & feed them again they still have some FF left.. could I possibly have filled them up finally? Lol.. honestly, could that happen.? Should I maybe cut back on about a cup of FF every feeding?
I know that’s a lot, thanks all for reading.!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My girls are 22 weeks old. I've been feeding them fermented feed since I got them as day old chicks. In my, albeit limited, experience, my girls eat 1 cup of FF each per day, maybe a little less. Some days they eat a little less, especially if they get any sort of treats, but never really much more. I'm not feeding them treats or supplementing with sprouts either. Who knows, maybe I'm completely over feeding them!!

I do notice that every so often they just don't eat as much as I was expecting and have enough food to completely skip a feeding. I'd say if there's some food left, cut back a bit.

Sometimes they just don't eat as much or may want more. You could cut back the amount you give them. I always have dry available as well so if they run out of FF they have dry to eat.

Back
Top Bottom