Fiber enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by AidynElyMama, Mar 6, 2011.

1. AidynElyMama

AidynElyMama In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Hello! New here and just feeling my way around. I'm an avid knitter/crocheter/spinner/dyer...er, fiber fiend. [​IMG] Anyone else out there?

2. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I do some crochet, weaving, a little knitting. I'm trying to learn socks - haven't really started though. I'm a bit intimidated by it. I've got a knitting shop down the street though and I think I'll stop by there when we're back from our trip. Get some help on starting...

3. AidynElyMama

Mar 6, 2011
    Nice to meet you! Socks are my favorite [​IMG]

I've always wanted to learn weaving but have never gotten around to it!

4. Toastyone

Toastyone Songster

Mar 13, 2011
    Reaford, NC
    I raise English Angora rabbits, have about 3pounds of their fiber right now. Hopefully learning to spin it soon [​IMG] hear it's harrdddd to start on rabbit angora but I think I can do it!

5. Randy

Randy Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Oh. This isn't what I thought this thread was going to be about at all. I was going to say I do eat shreaded wheat every now and then. [​IMG]

6. AidynElyMama

Mar 6, 2011
    [​IMG] Hahahaha!

Angora would definitely be harder to learn on, it's not as "sticky" as a pure wool would be. I think it could be done though! Good luck [​IMG]

7. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Songster

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    One of you may know, is there any good use for dryer lint? Can it be spun or felted or anything?

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:My mother just started weaving (shes 65) on a rigid heddle loom... she LOVES it. Shes been knitting and crocheting all her life...and can make anything. But boy... she LOVES weaving. You should give it a try!... [​IMG]

9. Toastyone

Toastyone Songster

Mar 13, 2011
    Reaford, NC
    I have friends with alpacas and sheep so maybe I'll get a little bit of that mix in if it's too hard to spin the pure angora. Seems like it shouldn't be too bad though, I have english angoras who have no guard hair, unlike German, Giant, French and satin, so it tends to "stick" together fairly well. I know it rolls into a nice bit of string when I try to get it off my clothing [​IMG]

10. flower

flower Songster

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    It seems to me that mixed yard/fiber/threads are stronger and more easy to work with than almost any 100% fiber that that I have except perhaps 100% merino sheep wool. Sure wish that I could raise hemp to add to softer fiber. Hemp is so strong and I have read that it is very easy to grow but that is one reason that the US government made it illegal to grow. If everyone can do it, make it illegal because otherwise it will be too difficult to control and tax.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: