Fiber enthusiasts?

AidynElyMama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Hello! New here and just feeling my way around. I'm an avid knitter/crocheter/spinner/dyer...er, fiber fiend.
big_smile.png
Anyone else out there?

I do some crochet, weaving, a little knitting. I'm trying to learn socks - haven't really started though. I'm a bit intimidated by it. I've got a knitting shop down the street though and I think I'll stop by there when we're back from our trip. Get some help on starting...

Nice to meet you! Socks are my favorite
smile.png

I've always wanted to learn weaving but have never gotten around to it!

I raise English Angora rabbits, have about 3pounds of their fiber right now. Hopefully learning to spin it soon
big_smile.png
hear it's harrdddd to start on rabbit angora but I think I can do it!

Oh. This isn't what I thought this thread was going to be about at all. I was going to say I do eat shreaded wheat every now and then.
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif
Hahahaha!

Angora would definitely be harder to learn on, it's not as "sticky" as a pure wool would be. I think it could be done though! Good luck
smile.png

Quote:
My mother just started weaving (shes 65) on a rigid heddle loom... she LOVES it. Shes been knitting and crocheting all her life...and can make anything. But boy... she LOVES weaving. You should give it a try!...
smile.png

I have friends with alpacas and sheep so maybe I'll get a little bit of that mix in if it's too hard to spin the pure angora. Seems like it shouldn't be too bad though, I have english angoras who have no guard hair, unlike German, Giant, French and satin, so it tends to "stick" together fairly well. I know it rolls into a nice bit of string when I try to get it off my clothing
smile.png

It seems to me that mixed yard/fiber/threads are stronger and more easy to work with than almost any 100% fiber that that I have except perhaps 100% merino sheep wool. Sure wish that I could raise hemp to add to softer fiber. Hemp is so strong and I have read that it is very easy to grow but that is one reason that the US government made it illegal to grow. If everyone can do it, make it illegal because otherwise it will be too difficult to control and tax.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom