Fibromelanistic chick?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
Can a chicken be partially fibromelanistic, or is that like being partially pregnant? I have a 6 1/2 week old Araucana chick that has a black beak, black comb, black legs, black everything except it's skin and the center of the soles of it's feet which are yellow. He/she was hatched out of a mottled x black (split for mottling) pair. I have hatched 13 chicks from the pair and this is the only chick that hatched out all black. Is he/she considered fibromelanistic? Will he/she throw fibro chicks?
20190918_185328.jpg
20190918_185144.jpg
20190918_185115.jpg

I have had non Fibro chicks who had black Combs and Waddles until they matured. My Maran Black Sex Links were like that as well as a few other mixes.
I have also had bright red combs on chickens that were descended from Fibro birds who ended up with dark or grey meat when processed. I suppose thats the same as being partially fibro.
IMG_2576.JPG

His Maternal Grandfather an Ayam Cemani, his Mother was half Red Ranger, both had black Combs and Waddles. His father was a Naked Neck and he himself is a Bow Tie Naked Neck. I just processed him Saturday (due to bad behavior) when I processed a CX.
IMG_2656.JPG

There he is on the left, Partial Fibro I suppose. Grey meat. Although the legs had an interesting combination of colors.
IMG_2757.JPG
IMG_2766.JPG

I suspect your Chick will not have even the diluted fibro trait. Its actually common in Easter Eggers to have black combs and waddles when young only to turn red when they matured. The Cockerel/Rooster I posted above had a Red comb and Waddles as soon as they came in.

Is he/she considered fibromelanistic? Will he/she throw fibro chicks?
The chick in question is a female and it is not Fibromelanistic(No Black Skin), While is Possible to be Partially Fibromelanistic with the right combination of genes, this pullet is not and neither her parents carrying Fibromelanosis to begin with.

The chick in question is a female and it is not Fibromelanistic(No Black Skin), While is Possible to be Partially Fibromelanistic with the right combination of genes, this pullet is not and neither her parents carrying Fibromelanosis to begin with.
What would cause her beak and comb to be all black?

What would cause her beak and comb to be all black?
is not uncommon for extended black pullets to have mulberry face when young and many of them keep them as adults, I suspect that the Mottled parent is carrying those extra melanizers but is not showing them due to the effect of mottling on the dermis/epidermis. Young Sumatra Pullets will have such black face the it will turn purple as they grow to adulthood. They are not Fibromelanistic.

My thought would be either bad breeding or bad genetics match up, but not an expert on the breed myself

My Blue Cuckoo Marans with black comb and face

Attachments

• PXL_20210619_184131296.jpg
    PXL_20210619_184131296.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 5
is not uncommon for extended black pullets to have mulberry face when young and many of them keep them as adults, I suspect that the Mottled parent is carrying those extra melanizers but is not showing them due to the effect of mottling on the dermis/epidermis. Young Sumatra Pullets will have such black face the it will turn purple as they grow to adulthood. They are not Fibromelanistic.
X2
Mulberry face is common in Sumatras and Modern Games. A wheaten Ameraucana over a Dominique produced this in my flock. The Dominique was probably hiding the genes all along.

Back
Top Bottom