Field gone wild?

gabby3535

Songster
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Hardwick, NW New Jersey
I have a 1 acre fenced field, in one corner of which sits my barn and now my chicken coop and 18 x 25 ft. run.
I usually keep the field mowed.......so that it is beautiful, and looks like a golf course................but I am wondering..........
now that the chickens live here, and this field will be their free-range area..........can I let the field grass grow long?
I would keep a 3 foot (or so) mowed perimeter inside the fence line.......and perhaps cut a few 'pathways' thru the tall grass,
just to keep things interesting for the chickens to forage thru...........................
but will the tall grass be okay for them if they decide to eat it? Could they pull off too long a piece and get it stuck in their
crops................or might they know better than that?

I like the idea of letting the wildflowers come up, and letting the chickens not be so 'exposed' (vs if I keep the field mowed, that is),
and for them to have some interesting 'paths' of mowed grass to wander down, etc..............but would this set-up be
okay if they decided to eat the long grass?

They will not be free ranging unless I am home, by the way..........and there will be 4 or 5 wood pallet tee-pees for them to
seek shelter in, should a hawk fly over, etc...................

What do you think?
Do chickens and tall grass get along?

I like the idea of letting it grow and cutting them some paths. Maybe you could make them a maze! That could keep them very entertained!
gig.gif

chicken maze....
lau.gif
I imagine them all out in there wandering about with one squawking "Marco!" and another squawking "Polo!" (or would that be "Pollo"?
gig.gif
)

I think it's a cool idea, I'd do it.

meri

I imagine them all out in there wandering about with one squawking "Marco!" and another squawking "Polo!" (or would that be "Pollo"?
gig.gif
)

gig.gif

(bonus funny point for creating a bilingual pun!!)​

That would be neat to make a maze
lol.png

I would do it if we wouldn't be overrun with rattlesnakes hiding in the grass
roll.png

I think it is a great idea! I know my chickens would enjoy it. It would even give them a hiding spot incase a hawk flew over. I don't think you need to worry about the chickens eating anything too long or big. They will do fine. How exciting!

Back
Top Bottom