Field mustard (Rape) and Garlic Mustard

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Field mustard (Rape) and Garlic Mustard

Can I feed these to my chickens? WE have both in our yard and since it is an invasive species we want to
get rid of them so we'll be weeding them out before they go to seed.

Here are some pictures, please confirm the identification:

Field Mustard (Rape)

Garlic Mustard - leaves smell garlicy when crushed. Would this impart flavor to the eggs?

My chickens won't eat things that are strongly flavored like that... (mustard, arugula, turnip greens, onions and garlic, etc).

Last edited:
Jumping in several years later to say my chickens LOVE garlic mustard to the point where they seek it out. I caught them tearing up plants in the backyard and was worried before I realized how invasive they were. Now when I'm pulling the weeds out, I'll throw some of them into the run and the chicks go nuts. I don't have an answer about the field mustard though, as we don't have that on the property!

Jumping in several years later to say my chickens LOVE garlic mustard to the point where they seek it out. I caught them tearing up plants in the backyard and was worried before I realized how invasive they were. Now when I'm pulling the weeds out, I'll throw some of them into the run and the chicks go nuts. I don't have an answer about the field mustard though, as we don't have that on the property!
Thanks for updating! I was just googling to see if I could feed to my ducks. Very helpful.

The type we have in Ohio is poison and can kill a horse ☠️we call it mustard weed but it don't look like the two in the photos . roundish smooth leaves .

Back
Top Bottom