Field trip to the feed store

Garden Peas

Songster
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Had to go pick up more game bird crumble yesterday evening, and found some interesting things at the feed store. I just love this little, independent feed store...

When was the last time your counter help was the owner, and you got a hand-written receipt?

I saw this anti-pick juice and thought of @DylansMom :

Sorry, I was hoping the label was in better focus so we could see what was in it. I'm looking at the photo on my phone, and I can't read what the second ingredient is (after water), but after that, I think it says Tea Tree Oil, Calendula and Aloe Vera. (But my eyes aren't so great
old.gif
and photo is out of focus). I turned the bottle around at the store, and there's not any more labels on the other side.

I bought a bottle of Flock Fuel (I think I have also seen it at TSC) because I am tired of squeezing out the little vitamin E capsules, so I thought I would try it:

I guess I need to do some research on Vitamin E (and also toxicity, since I think overdoing it is bad), as I have no clue what is an appropriate dose. The Flock Fuel has 250 IU of Vitamin E per lb, according to the label. Since the whole bottle is probably less than 1 lb (it contains 16 fluid oz, but oil is lighter than water, so presumably a bit less than one lb), it probably contains about 2.5 IU of Vitamin E or less per teaspoon. But has lots of good Omega oils.

The Vitamin E capsules I've been using (squeezed onto bread treats) contain 400 IU per softgel. (So there's more Vitamin E in one softgel -- in fact almost twice as much -- as in the entire bottle of Flock Fuel
gig.gif
)

So as a Vitamin E supplement... maybe not so much, but again, overdose and toxicity is something I need to look into... I'm also thinking I could squeeze a few softgels into the bottle, and it would be easy to put on bread/mash/food.

I also had a nice chat with the owner about other gamebird feeds. He sells a couple of local feed mill products designed for roosters, so a lower protein content that layer pellets and gamebird crumble. I looked at the ingredients lists and they had so much interesting stuff in them (like three different kinds of peas) that I almost wanted to buy some just to make cookies for the birds
lau.gif

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool that a local feed mill makes such a great mix and markets it through local independent feed stores. The ownder also carries a bunch of specialty bird diets and seeds for cage birds, in addition to horse stuff, dog stuff, and a great assortment of poultry stuff. I could spend all day in there!

Had to go pick up more game bird crumble yesterday evening, and found some interesting things at the feed store. I just love this little, independent feed store...

When was the last time your counter help was the owner, and you got a hand-written receipt?

I saw this anti-pick juice and thought of @DylansMom :

Sorry, I was hoping the label was in better focus so we could see what was in it. I'm looking at the photo on my phone, and I can't read what the second ingredient is (after water), but after that, I think it says Tea Tree Oil, Calendula and Aloe Vera. (But my eyes aren't so great
old.gif
and photo is out of focus). I turned the bottle around at the store, and there's not any more labels on the other side.

I bought a bottle of Flock Fuel (I think I have also seen it at TSC) because I am tired of squeezing out the little vitamin E capsules, so I thought I would try it:

I guess I need to do some research on Vitamin E (and also toxicity, since I think overdoing it is bad), as I have no clue what is an appropriate dose. The Flock Fuel has 250 IU of Vitamin E per lb, according to the label. Since the whole bottle is probably less than 1 lb (it contains 16 fluid oz, but oil is lighter than water, so presumably a bit less than one lb), it probably contains about 2.5 IU of Vitamin E or less per teaspoon. But has lots of good Omega oils.

The Vitamin E capsules I've been using (squeezed onto bread treats) contain 400 IU per softgel. (So there's more Vitamin E in one softgel -- in fact almost twice as much -- as in the entire bottle of Flock Fuel
gig.gif
)

So as a Vitamin E supplement... maybe not so much, but again, overdose and toxicity is something I need to look into... I'm also thinking I could squeeze a few softgels into the bottle, and it would be easy to put on bread/mash/food.

I also had a nice chat with the owner about other gamebird feeds. He sells a couple of local feed mill products designed for roosters, so a lower protein content that layer pellets and gamebird crumble. I looked at the ingredients lists and they had so much interesting stuff in them (like three different kinds of peas) that I almost wanted to buy some just to make cookies for the birds
lau.gif

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool that a local feed mill makes such a great mix and markets it through local independent feed stores. The ownder also carries a bunch of specialty bird diets and seeds for cage birds, in addition to horse stuff, dog stuff, and a great assortment of poultry stuff. I could spend all day in there!
Hey, I should update my other thread, the Blue Kote seems to be working. Not that I can get a good close look at her, since being caught, orally dosed w/ Safeguard, getting her nails clipped and being spray painted purple, she is a bit reluctant to let me anywhere near her. Can't imagine why?
lau.gif
I did check the 2x4 perch and underneath it yesterday and I saw no sign of fresh blood, so that is very promising.

Hey, I should update my other thread, the Blue Kote seems to be working. Not that I can get a good close look at her, since being caught, orally dosed w/ Safeguard, getting her nails clipped and being spray painted purple, she is a bit reluctant to let me anywhere near her. Can't imagine why?
lau.gif
I did check the 2x4 perch and underneath it yesterday and I saw no sign of fresh blood, so that is very promising.

Maybe she would like some nice, salty parmesan popcorn?
pop.gif

I see that flock fuel is a mannapro product. I am curious about trying some of the manna food for poultry since I read lots of amazing reviews about their feed. That is neat I think we have a Miller's feed somewhere around here. There is a feed store right down the road from me, but their prices are higher than TSC so I don't go there often. Also right near the feed store is a feed store with mainly horse feed and horse supplies. They are not doing so well, and recently my dad said they have been bought by a great feed store owner that used to be too far away from us so I couldn't get feed from there. I am really excited I would love to be able to have a really good feed store just down the road from me.

What do you guys think about feed with soy in it? I know some people try to avoid feeding their birds soy. On Read Mountain Peafowl's facebook he once made a comment that to get better breeding success he was going to try not feeding his birds anything with soy.

Dylansmom, I hear ya. After just powder puffing Angels butt with Sevin dust he thinks I am a big bad monster. I needed to worm him but he kicked and scratched me up so bad I just couldn't do it. Now he keeps a wary distance at all times. He really is a dumb bird, not sure I should breed such an idiot! :lol:

I sure miss White Lightning and my Cherokee. :(

Last edited:
Dylansmom, I hear ya. After just powder puffing Angels butt with Sevin dust he thinks I am a big bad monster. I needed to worm him but he kicked and scratched me up so bad I just couldn't do it. Now he keeps a wary distance at all times. He really is a dumb bird, not sure I should breed such an idiot!
lol.png

I sure miss White Lightning and my Cherokee.
sad.png

Will he eat bread treats?

Safeguard + bread = happy pea + no injuries to anybody

P.S. He sounds smart to me... he remembers you insulted his dignity and had a physical fight with him and he got scared. Therefore you are a predator and must be watched! Better try some parmesan popcorn on him too
pop.gif

I did a little more reading on Vitamin E... apparently it is not very toxic, but can cause bleeding if too much is taken, due to its anticoagulant effect. Upper limit in humans is set at 1000 mg (1500 IU) per day, which is quite a bit...

Extrapolating (and one never knows when trying to compare amounts between species, I'm just guessing) then I think I generally don't want to exceed about 100-150 IU per day in the grown birds.

Since the softgels have 400 IU each (not all of which gets squeezed out), and the amount in the Flock Fuel is only about 1.5 IU per teaspoon, I can probably spread the oil from 2 softgels across the 6 peas, or even just one softgel... But maybe not a good idea to use too many softgels daily.

Anybody have any better info or know anything more about this? Cuz I'm seriously guessing here...

Garden peas, it's frustrating. I bought him as a 2 year year old from a gal in Wichita. She just let him run wild and never tamed him at all. When I throw treats he seemed to think I am trying to bean him on the head. All MY babies come running and snatch it all up! Sigh

Garden peas, it's frustrating. I bought him as a 2 year year old from a gal in Wichita. She just let him run wild and never tamed him at all. When I throw treats he seemed to think I am trying to bean him on the head. All MY babies come running and snatch it all up! Sigh

What does he eat?

Back
Top Bottom