Fighting chickens and bloody combs. Not sure what’s happening!

ChicksNBoys

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
Ridgecrest, Ca
Hello all! I’ve got some misbehavior happening causing bloody combs and I’m not sure why or what to do about it.
Yesterday my girl Piper (Plymouth Blue Rock) had a bloody comb so I stayed out in the run to see what was happening. I noticed another of my girls, Kia (Leghorn) who typically keeps to herself also had some blood. Kia went into one of the coop boxes to lay an egg. She got territorial when Piper went to see what was going on (she’s always the one keeping up with the others and what they’re doing). Piper went to another box and was prepping it like Kia was. Kia wasn’t having it and went to attack her. Piper started to do a purring sound that I’ve never heard before and would start to make her way to the run when Kia would start attacking. I tried attaching a video but it doesn’t give me an option 👎

I got my chickens at a day old in July and some started laying last week. I haven’t really seen them get nasty towards each other and being that this is a first go around for me, I’m not sure what is happening. Are they going broody? Are they just mean? And what do I do about the bloody combs?

I’m not sure why they’re doing this, however I would separate them. If they stay together they’ll keep pecking at the combs and they won’t heal. Are they your only two?

Your black chicken is behaving like a rooster showing the hen where to lay her eggs and trying to prepare the nest for her, and your leghorn is not having it. She wants the black one out of her nest.

You don't seem to have a rooster, do you?

Your black chicken is behaving like a rooster showing the hen where to lay her eggs and trying to prepare the nest for her, and your leghorn is not having it. She wants the black one out of her nest.

You don't seem to have a rooster, do you?
I don't think so but then again, this is my first go around. How can I tell?

How many chickens do you have?
If you are not sure of their gender, just upload good pictures of their heads and their back seen from above, so we can assess their appearance and try to determine the gender that way.

Back
Top Bottom