Fighting chicks (blood). Need advice.

Krusey

Hatching
Apr 27, 2019
Looking for advice. My wife and I are first time chick owners. We have 4 blue australorp chicks (11 days old). Today is the third day having them. I noticed pecking this morning. All 3 chicks were pecking the butt of the smallest, drawing blood at the butthole. I separated the biggest aggressor, but the others continued, so I separated the bloody one for now. Just some info:

They’re in a spare bedroom in big trough (same as feed store), they have a pine pellet bottom, clean water, scratch and peck chick feed, separate grit, and a heat lamp.

I did just switch out a 250 watt red bulb heat lamp, to a 100 watt ceramic heat bulb yesterday morning. I briefly read the red lamp calms them?

The heat in the brooder seems fine. They don’t lay directly under the heat, nor at the other end of the trough, far away.

Attachments

• 9A540B4D-5C3B-42E6-87BF-70651407B5EA.jpeg
    9A540B4D-5C3B-42E6-87BF-70651407B5EA.jpeg
    660.3 KB · Views: 42
  • BD0F8394-6E2E-46B9-BFF3-E39BB893D3B6.jpeg
    BD0F8394-6E2E-46B9-BFF3-E39BB893D3B6.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 17
Looking for advice. My wife and I are first time chick owners. We have 4 blue australorp chicks (11 days old). Today is the third day having them. I noticed pecking this morning. All 3 chicks were pecking the butt of the smallest, drawing blood at the butthole. I separated the biggest aggressor, but the others continued, so I separated the bloody one for now. Just some info:

They’re in a spare bedroom in big trough (same as feed store), they have a pine pellet bottom, clean water, scratch and peck chick feed, separate grit, and a heat lamp.

I did just switch out a 250 watt red bulb heat lamp, to a 100 watt ceramic heat bulb yesterday morning. I briefly read the red lamp calms them?

The heat in the brooder seems fine. They don’t lay directly under the heat, nor at the other end of the trough, far away.

I agree that the injured one should be separated, let it heal and get stronger. The other chicks will pick on a weaker chick sometimes.

Yes let it heal and get strong,Ive actaully has chicks this young fight and injure each other, however they were actually fighting ,(no one was just getting picked on),and it got carried away and I came back to an injured chick with a messed up eye.

Soak the bottom in a warm epsom salts solution or use compresses. When you get her cleaned up, post some more photos so we can see how much damage there is.

I would apply triple antibiotic ointment on the vent. Is the chick eating/drinking and pooping o.k.? Not having a hard to "going"?

Personally, I would absolutely keep the grit in the brooder. It will not hurt one thing.

Back
Top Bottom